Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!Check your stock Manifold/Header Bolts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyazo6
Welding a nut on to the broken stud and puting a wrench on it is how I do it to.
good idea but i would think the aluminum would get too hot
Old 03-25-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

good enough excuse for me to go buy new heads lol.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Teching In

i had that same thing happen to me. the 2 rear manifold bolts where gone on my 99 Z/71. at first it wasnt that big of a deal i got the one out that was close to the front of the truck, then i didnt have enough room between the firewall and head to get the 2nd one out. i had to take the whole d@%n intake off and take the head off to get the bolt out. OH WELL, it was a good excuse to get dynatech longtubes and port n polish the heads.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Launching!

i have done three trucks with the same problem,and all i did was take the exaust off the exaustmanifold and turn out the stud with a pair of vicegrips.but if there is nothing hangging out than pull the head off lightly grind the stud flat center punch the stud and drill it out.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyazo6
Welding a nut on to the broken stud and puting a wrench on it is how I do it to.
this is what i did also, it was flush with the head ! what a pain
Old 03-25-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I have 3 broken off. F+R on drivers side and I the rear one on the passenger side. I guess I might be moving up my plans to buy headers. I think mine are all broke off flush with the manifold so at least I should be able to get them out easy enough.

Last edited by truckmann; 04-03-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:14 PM
apple bottom jeans

Take a center punch and spin them out if you have enough room. You guys may be more daring then me but I doubt I'd ever have the ***** to weld on my engine.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missing bolt head

Installed my pacesetters last night. Head was missing of the drivers side rear bolt before I got to it. Dang... I spoke with a shop about fixing it but hate to pay 2 hours labor to fix.

Can someone give a step by step on the welding to the bolt and extracting. I have the resources to weld to it but haven't ever tried. How do you keep from welding to the block? What size nut would you recommend? Definately sounds like a 2 person job.

Will probably let the shop take care of it but I'd be nice to know.

MS
Old 03-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear bolts being broke off is a pretty common problem on these trucks, at least it used to be, not sure if the newer stuff has this problem or not.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried unsuccessfully to weld a nut to the broken stud this weekend. I needed another set of hands kept filling the nut from the side apposed to the top of the broken stud then out. Shop was unable to do it without removal of head. Think they said 8 hrs labor to r/r. However many it was too much. Have a helper stopping by this evening will try welding the nut again.

If I am unable to remove by welding, anyone have a write up of intake and head removal?

WhiteChevy - Dont want to steal your thread. What kind of luck did you end up with the removal of the broken stud?

Quick Reply: !Check your stock Manifold/Header Bolts!!!