Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Position Sensor

The last several months my truck has been running like *** and I have not been able to figure out why. It would be completly fine some times and hardly run others. But most of the time it it would run, just not like it should.
We got it narrowed down to a fuel problem but could not figure out where the problem was because sometimes it would run rich and others times it would seem to be lean.

On friday I had it at school and was letting one of the instructors use it to demonstrate to the class how to use varrious diagnostic equipment. He had it pluged into a scan tool and was just showing the class how you can observe what differant sensors are reading when he noticed the cam position sensor was not sending any signal at all. It turns out the Cam position sensor is working sometimes and not others. So it apears this is the problem i have been fighting for 2 months.

Now after all that ranting i have a few questions.

Has anyone had this problem before?
Where exactly is the sensor located?
How hard is it to get to?
Is there any little tips or secrets that i should know about when it comes to changing this?
Old 06-27-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this problem before and it made the vehicle hard to start. When the engine got replaced, the Cam postion sensor wire got pinched and grounded the output signal. The wire was removed and problem went away.

Good Luck
Old 06-27-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

I'm getting ready to replace mine on my Firehawk. I know on the 5.7L you have to remove the intake manifold and the sensor is on the back of the engine. I've never seen it myself but I have the replacement sensor and I'm gonna try and replace it sometime in the next week or so. It causes my car to have a real hard time starting on occasion, sometimes it fires right up. I just hope replacing it fixes the problem.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's Not Hard On A Truck 10mm Socket. It Is On The Rear Right Side Of The Motor.on The Cars You Have To Pull The Intake.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

This doesn't appear to be too common, but I'm currently having a similar problem and I managed to trace it back to the crankshaft position sensor. I'm pretty sure the two work together, but without one, then it will run terrible.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Very easy to change out, remove intake manifold, disconnect sensor, remove bolt, remove sensor, install new sensor, reinstall bolt, connect sensor, reinstall minifold. Have a nice day.