Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam Install Soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, why go radical? The hotcam uses an out-dated soft lobe which worsens the idle quality and reduces low end power for fast opening/shutting of the valves.

I understand the max cfm requirments. Does the stock head meet them, no? Its possible, going larger, will produce alot more power. Maybe opening up the intake ports might also, or it will kill velocity to an already large port volume?

The hotcam fits the needs of a daily driver of me and yourself about as well as a bikini fits those fat women you speak of.

, I'm rooting for Deck too. Hell yeah. There's just a bunch of camshafts out there better. I understand area under the curve and all that. Without looking at anything but .050 you can't tell if this is cam is to big/ to small, so I think its hard to make that claim.

I'd take my stock cam any day over the hot-cam and the money I saved for mods that were needed to support it.

Do you have any other specs of the camshaft at different lifts, exc? The duration pattern shown there, is ****** ugly.

Like to add something
------
wrong decisions can stop deck from becoming the 11second 4.8, and halt him to the 12 second title. I'm in no way being a dick about it, i want him to go fast just like anyone.

the hot-cam likes spray just as much as it likes takin it up the ***. There is power to be made across the entire power band, which the hot-cam wont give you.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
The hotcam sucks in comparison to whats out there.
Ditto. Its designed off the LT1 Hotcam. IMO its better suited in a SBC. Thus as most f-bod guys have noted. But I do understand its an inexpensive cam.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

So how many hotcam 4.8's have you built/tuned/dynod/raced?

I'm curious as to where all this hotcam knowledge comes from? Please share. What cam are you running, and why did you choose it?

As far as comparing duration at 50 thou, that's the industry standard. Do you want advertized duration, because then you really won't be able to compare to other manufacturers. Since your such a cam guru, given the "ugly" specs listed, you should be able to find the duration at any lift.

I've never doc'ed the cam myself, but I have heard several times that this cam is a lot different than what Gm advertises. The "poor" idle quatlity is not from the way the lobes are shaped, its from the 112LSA. In fact most TR, Comp and LPE lobes are shaped more radically, making it harder on valvetrain parts and idle quality. Thus making this cam good for those driving daily and who don't want to change springs regularly.

Deck doesn't have heads right now, I don't know if he's planing on doing them either. But as for now, I know this cam is what he needs.

Plus unlike these modern lobes you speak of, you can run 1.85 RR's with this cam.

You can keep your stock cam, while the the rest of us with a cam better than 190/191 run circles around you. Too each his own. Happy moding!

Edit:
As far as power across the entire curve goes, I have first hand experience with this cam. I noticed NO loss in low RPM torque, and from 3000 to 6400 it pulls seamlessly.

The GEN 3 hotcam has different valve events too, unlike the GEN 2 hotcam. I'm sure you two know that, since you have seen the cam card and have vast knowlege of hotcam 4.8's.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Keep it civilized, no hostile admissioned

So how many hotcam 4.8's have you built/tuned/dynod/raced?
None. I guess I can't realize its a shitty design then hu? I need to test it in my truck, then make an assumption.

I'm curious as to where all this hotcam knowledge comes from? Please share. What cam are you running, and why did you choose it?
I have a stock camshaft.

As far as comparing duration at 50 thou, that's the industry standard. Do you want advertized duration, because then you really won't be able to compare to other manufacturers. Since your such a cam guru, given the "ugly" specs listed, you should be able to find the duration at any lift.
I'm not a cam guru.

The "poor" idle quatlity is not from the way the lobes are shaped, its from the 112LSA.
Yeah. overlap, soft lobe, duration pattern can also have an effect.

In fact most TR, Comp and LPE lobes are shaped more radically, making it harder on valvetrain parts and idle quality. Thus making this cam good for those driving daily and who don't want to change springs regularly.
A steeper ramped camshaft (ex. X-ER) will have a better idle quality when paired correctly with other specs. Compared to one of the same specs with a softer lobe.

Take a look around, the ware isn't as bad as you think.

But as for now, I know this cam is what he needs.
Thats cool then, but don't be mad at me because your trucks slow and you like a cam that is very similair to the LT1 hotcam.

Plus unlike these modern lobes you speak of, you can run 1.85 RR's with this cam.
Soo, spend 700+ on a pair of rocker and the hotcam or pick the cam spec'd to your application the first try. Hmmm

You can keep your stock cam, while the the rest of us with a cam better than 190/191 run circles around you.
Aren't you running 15's? sorry that I'm being a smart-*** but you are sorta coming off rude in your post.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Damn right I was being rude, because you are coming off as 16 year old know it all, smart ***. It's okay, I was once there too. Don't act like a cam guru if you're not one. If it's "a shitty design" and you have NO extenssive cam experience/knowledge, then what constitutes you making such bold statment? What your "friends" say? I am currently doing a senior design project on a Cam-less engine design, and I would love to know what makes one lobe so much better than another, just by looking at it on paper. What formula are you using, because my design team and I would love to know.

Define:Soft lobe, hard lobe

I AM running 15's, but that's at a 6500ft DA, in an EC 4.8, with the SES light lit. Come on out to my track and see what high DA's is all about. SS's run mid 16's, and RC 5.3 with bolt ons run low 16's.

RR's are cheaper than $700. Where do you shop?

I'm done with this, I going out to party now instead of pecking on the keyboard wasting my Saturday night.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Vanilla,

Why do you feel the hot-cam is the best camshaft for his setup?

you don't have to go off on me, i'll listen. promise
Old 10-17-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
Vanilla,

Why do you feel the hot-cam is the best camshaft for his setup?

you don't have to go off on me, i'll listen. promise

Of course its not the best. The 4.8L motor isnt the best, the 6.0 isnt the best. A Lingenfelter twin turbo 427 isnt even the best...ok, it might be the best... but thats not the point.

I like the hotcam for three main reasons,

1) Cheap in price (Im 18 years old, going to college, and barely making any money.. )
2) Nice Exhaust Duration for spray
3) Low lift, easy on valvetrain.. plus I dont have ported heads.

And the cool lopey sound is the bonus. I am not trying to set records here, I am just trying to get a good low-buck combination out of this truck. The hotcam probably isnt the best cam for this truck, but its best suited for my situation as of now. I'll work with what I have and hopefully do well.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Old 10-17-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 Thunder
Old 10-17-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I understand deckhand. Sorry if I came across like its the worst of all camshafts, but that would just be b/c of what me and vanilla were talking about.

since you replied, i dont think i need to carry on my nonsense anymore. i hope it works out for you, and be sure to post up a clip when you get it installed. even if i dont like it, that is one thing. it sounds

thanks.