Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building mild LQ9 for 03 RCSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building mild LQ9 for 03 RCSB

Just bought a used LQ9. 80k Miles. Will be installing it in a 03 RCSB Silverado 2wd. This truck is mainly a toy. Currently I have a 2017 Platinum F250 but it has a 10” Lift and 38s going on it in the next couple weeks so I bought the Chevy to run around in and play with.

Mainly need it to be fun to drive on the street and reliable. Might hit the strip here or there but won’t be often. Would love to see close to 500 out of it.

Right now my plans are as follows but I’m really looking for some insight or what you might change.

1. BTR stage 3 or 4 Cam, with kit that has springs and retainers.
2. Katech Timing Chain
3. LS7 Lifters
4. Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade
5. Intake Manifold of Some Kind. I know FAST LSXRT is my best bet but I sure would prefer the look of a HOLLEY Sniper.
6. NW 102 Throttle Body
7. Injectors, looking for size and brand recommendation.
8. 4L80. Have been looking at Jakes stage 2 or 3.
9. Converter? 30-3200 based on cam specs I think.
10. Headers? American Racing? kooks? Stainless Works?
11. New Oil Pump

what hat do you guys think, give me some feedback and direction please.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Throw the idea of 500hp out the window if you aren't adding boost. The drivetrain loss through the transmission and rear end will suck the power away.

You won't be able to plop on another 200whp with just a cam/intake/tune.

If you care about how it drives for a daily the smaller camshaft will be ideal. No need to jump to the biggest intake and throttle body size as you won't out flow them on a 6.0 engine size. The LSX-RT is more for looks than it is for pure function in most cases. That intake is better suited for someone that always runs the vehicle at full tilt all the time, it's shines way up top and the price per horsepower gain is not there.

Mid 40's on injector size will do with no boost.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Throw the idea of 500hp out the window if you aren't adding boost. The drivetrain loss through the transmission and rear end will suck the power away.

You won't be able to plop on another 200whp with just a cam/intake/tune.

If you care about how it drives for a daily the smaller camshaft will be ideal. No need to jump to the biggest intake and throttle body size as you won't out flow them on a 6.0 engine size. The LSX-RT is more for looks than it is for pure function in most cases. That intake is better suited for someone that always runs the vehicle at full tilt all the time, it's shines way up top and the price per horsepower gain is not there.

Mid 40's on injector size will do with no boost.
guess I should add that this motor build is just a hold me over until I finish all the other stuff I want done appearence wise then I’ll build a stroker turbo motor.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
Just bought a used LQ9. 80k Miles. Will be installing it in a 03 RCSB Silverado 2wd. This truck is mainly a toy. Currently I have a 2017 Platinum F250 but it has a 10” Lift and 38s going on it in the next couple weeks so I bought the Chevy to run around in and play with.

Mainly need it to be fun to drive on the street and reliable. Might hit the strip here or there but won’t be often. Would love to see close to 500 out of it.

Right now my plans are as follows but I’m really looking for some insight or what you might change.

1. BTR stage 3 or 4 Cam, with kit that has springs and retainers.
2. Katech Timing Chain
3. LS7 Lifters
4. Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade
5. Intake Manifold of Some Kind. I know FAST LSXRT is my best bet but I sure would prefer the look of a HOLLEY Sniper.
6. NW 102 Throttle Body
7. Injectors, looking for size and brand recommendation.
8. 4L80. Have been looking at Jakes stage 2 or 3.
9. Converter? 30-3200 based on cam specs I think.
10. Headers? American Racing? kooks? Stainless Works?
11. New Oil Pump

what hat do you guys think, give me some feedback and direction please.

Either of those cams will be fine with a good converter...I recommend Circle D

Get the 317 heads milled .035...

Most people use the LS2 Timing Chain, prob save a few bucks over the Katech or if u really just want upgrade get a Cloyes Billet Timing Set...

Don’t get the Comp Cam Trunion Upgrade, get either STRAUB or CHE, those are the best 2 on the market...

As mentioned above don’t waste your money on the intake or throttle body...

As far as injectors go Injector Dynamics and FIC are very popular...

Headers go with American Racing or Kooks, I’ve had both and I prefer Kooks only because I liked the Y-pipe better, both were top notch in quality, a lot of guys on here will swear by the TSP Headers but there is no comparison as far as quality...

Oil pump go with a Melling 10295...
Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For a decent cam that is very daily driven friendly, a 216/220 with .600/.600 lift or the BTR Truck Stage 3 cam, 218/224 .553/.553 113+3 would be great cams. All depends on how fare you want to go, and if you plan on boosting down the road.

In my opinion, their is no need for the Katech Timing Chain. Unless you are running a high lift cam or something, a standard LS2 will work just fine. Unless you have the extra cash.

I would not use the Comp trunnions, check out Texas Speed with the CHE Bronze Trunnion kit. By far the best quality kit you can buy, Straub/Smith Bros is right behind them. Comp, in the past, has had issues with very fast wear and some failures with their kits.

Unless your planning on revvin past 6,500 rpm, the NNBS Truck manifold, ported or not, works just as good. I have seen testing of the LSXRT manifold VS the NNBS, and the gains do not start showing until 62-6300 rpm, with some HP/TQ loss below 2,500 rpm.

The 90mm LS7 Throttle body works well with the NNBS up to about 500 crank HP. It would be my choice.

A Melling 10295 Oil Pump is generally the go to pump for most aftermarket pumps. You can go with ported stock ones as well.

I have used ARH, Kooks, SW, Speed Engineering, Headman, Hooker, and ARH has been the best fitting, then Kooks. Either of those are great brands and are big bucks.