Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best header for a 03 4.8l silverado 1500

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id love to run no cats but due to california restrictions and such im kinda stuck..
i do like the idea of running shorties with new y pipes minus the cats then come smog time i can swap out the y pipe..
Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several catted y pipes available longtube headers (Kooks, American Racing, Stainless Steel Works) Of course they're not cheap but you get what you pay for.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're in California, then you'll need CARB legal shorty headers and cats. The down side is that shorties only gain about half the hp of the long tube. But, it's better than nothing. Glad I live where there are no inspections.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Man Motor club

There are people in Cali with catted longtubes. Figure out how.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug thorley tri-y headers are the only longtubes I have found that are legal in california (have a CARB number) they are considered mid-lengths but are as long as longtubes from what I have seen. Im saving up to get some for my truck, since I'm in crappy california as well.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good discussion, sorry to hi-jack the thread, can you get any of these long tubes in inch and a half (1.5") or inch and five eights (1.625") primary sizes? I know it sounds silly but the smaller sizes do help with the low end power; which is what I'm mostly focused on. I haven't really seen any. I figure it's because anyone that's going to buy headers is probably going to go FI and then the smaller sizes isn't worth it.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:27 PM

Greetings,

from what i have discussed, read, learned, and from more experienced people recommendations. Below is what i can conclude from what i remember:

Long Tube Headers:

with this type of headers you gain more HP and Torque specially on the high rpm, and you will feel the increase in power exactly at the med range rpm until the high end of your 2nd gear and continuing to feel the raise up at 3rd then 4th gear. your speed meter won't stop rotating CLOCK WISE. the car will hit top speed faster and easier.

Recommended brands:

Kooks ceramic headers, peacestter ceramic headers, peacesetter stainsteel headers, cali speed stainsteel headers, and American racing headers. (those are in memory at the moment you can search for more and make sure which is the perfect for you)

Note: you need a y-pipe for your long tube headers. same brands can be sold as combo with the y- pipe, and you can choose with Cats or with out Cats.

Short Headers:

this type of headers gives you increase in HP and Torque as-well, but less than what you will gain with Long Tubes. this type of headers will give you better acceleration. more power feeling at 1st and 2nd gear, but starting at 3rd gear you will feel the lose of aggressiveity from your car and it will run slower to top speed.

Brands: Sorry no Recommendations at the moment. (did not look for brands really because i always prefer Long Tubes)

Note: you can use factory OEM y-pipe, Or you can go with a different Y-pipe with racing cats or no cats!!

a Good combination would be:
1- volant cold air intake
2- LS7 Throttle Body (it is 90mm)
3- Long Tube Headers
4- y-pipe (no cats)
5- Corsa Sport Cat (in my opinion the performance and sound of Corsa is better then others)

important upgrades to avoid breaking your car
1- HP or EFI live (Dyno , or if you trust someone who does it by laptop) this will set your car ACU, or computer to the best tune that gives you the needed HP and Saftey.
2- B&M Transmission cooler (cheap and easy to install. saftey for your tranny big time!!)

I hope this helps,
Old 08-15-2020, 10:27 PM

Default How much for the headers with cats

How much for headers with cats

QUOTE=AKlowriderZ71;4933570]Best header, in terms of quality, is American Racing Headers. They can come with cats, or without. And they will bolt up to your factory or aftermarket cat-back system. Let me know if you'd like more info on them.

Attachment 135869[/QUOTE]
The following users liked this post:
Hardtop (09-05-2020)