Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

best header for a 03 4.8l silverado 1500

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best header for a 03 4.8l silverado 1500

anyone have any imput on a good header system for a 4.8l 1500? im looking for a good performing header with ability to upgrade later to magnaflow cats y pipe. Anyone with headers on their 4.8l please let me in on any insight.
thank you
B
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

You are not going to be able to bolt any long tubes to your factory y pipe and shorties are a waste of money. There are many threads about this try the search button out
Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 AM

hey thanks for the glass half empty answer and i can use the search button mr. super cool but maybe i wanted to get some new feedback also known as the point if a forum.. thanks again for that fantastic responce maybe someone who enjoys talking trucks and poss has some insight on 4.8l headers can post and have a friendly discussion in a place where others can see what new things people hav to say... again thank you soo much for your reply, extremely intelligent and insightful not to menion tactful and to the point.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:55 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best header, in terms of quality, is American Racing Headers. They can come with cats, or without. And they will bolt up to your factory or aftermarket cat-back system. Let me know if you'd like more info on them.

Name:  ARHGMT800y-pipe.png
Views: 9176
Size:  83.8 KB
Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barley
You are not going to be able to bolt any long tubes to your factory y pipe and shorties are a waste of money.
I'm afraid he's right. If you want headers that bolt up to your stock Y-pipe, the shorties are the only ones that will and they are not worth doing in my opinion.

Headers that fit a 4.8 will also fit a 5.3 or a 6.0 engine. You buy the headers to fit the chassis. Long tube headers give you the best power gains. Most of the headers are so similar, there is very little difference in performance. Stainless steel headers are nice because they don't rust as much. Check out Maryland Speed or Texas Speed for available options or roll the dice and gamble with cheap eBay headers.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

i'm not trying to be mr super cool i'm just saying use the search cuz you can usuallf finde the answer to most of your questions there and this dead horse aka your thread or any other general header question thread has been beeten to death!!

Last edited by barley; 06-05-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been running pacesetters for about five years, never had a leak yet, great power gains. I do run an offroad y pipe however, which will bolt up to stock exhaust. You can always weld in some cats to a modified offroad y pipe.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 AM

So if I go long tube headers I'd need to redo my collectors and mod my catalytic placement and such? Also why do shorts do nothing? They all claim to have increases in hp fuel econ and torque. Also if I went shorties then put in a new y pipe set up that is larger dia then stock w more free flowing cats (or just get a magnaflow y pipe w hi flow cats) would that make shorties worthwhile?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Also those American racing headers with down pipes already on them cats or not r really worth that 1500$ price tag?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ilverado1500
So if I go long tube headers I'd need to redo my collectors and mod my catalytic placement and such? Also why do shorts do nothing? They all claim to have increases in hp fuel econ and torque. Also if I went shorties then put in a new y pipe set up that is larger dia then stock w more free flowing cats (or just get a magnaflow y pipe w hi flow cats) would that make shorties worthwhile?
People claim they do nothing because the factory manifolds are designed like a shorty header, so putting on an aftermarket one will not give you much of a gain for the money. Longtubes are the way to go for power, but if you need to have cats and dont want to mess with modified longtubes and y pipes, shorties may be your best bet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best header for a 03 4.8l silverado 1500