Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ATI or RADIX

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:50 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan4Life
well this would be a daily driven truck, and i would have it professionally tuned....

and for the tranny issue, i mentioned im not that crazy when i drive, but i like to nail it once in awhile, i mean who doesnt, i have a speed bike if i want to go really crazy, and i always change fluids well before reccomended time... and id have a really good trans cooler cuz it gets hot down here in tejas...

either way, i still cant decide which way to go, i know the ati wont be as fast out of the hole, and will be much faster on the topend, and i know that the radix will be a beast out of the hole, but hard on the trans... anyone else have anymore opinions or suggestions?

I was also thinking, whats the deal with turbos for our trucks?
From what I have read, I would suggest the RADIX for your set up. There is alot more in the RADIX than folks give it credit for.....Yes the ATI will fill up a large cube motor......Yes it will make more power at the TOP END, but you are loking for more power throughout the curve. For what you are looking for the RADIX is the way to go. Plus there is not any tuning NEEDED with the RADIX, it comes complete with everything you need, turn key HP in a box! You will not be unhappy!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just read the like 10 page deal on the single turbo kit, and it looks promising... im thinking that it would be the ideal setup for me, that is if it all works out...

if not i may go with the radix, because its not like it wont pull on most cars on the highway, and it will definately be good out of the hole, and im thinking that instead of getting 20's now, ill buy a built flp transmission and get the 20s later, that way ive got a solid foundation and wont have to dick with tranny problems, no matter which way i go...

and for those of you with the radix, does it pull hard up top like if ur goin down the highway and punch it at 70 or 75 does it pin you in your seat or what? id like to hear some opinions on that...also would a good cam suited for blown applications help a great deal without putting much stress on the internals?

thanks for everyones replies,

joe
Old 03-15-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I ran a 12.67 at 105 w/ a 1.81 60' with the stock pulley and relatively stock RADIX tune, only advanced the timing a little.

My truck pulls like a raped ape as long as the converter isn't locked. I haven't messed with the tranny tables any really. If I take off about 60% throttle, it pulls hard up until about 100, where another 10% keeps it pulling into 110, where it starts getting to damn fast for me. I've smacked the hell out of my 126 mph speed limiter once. I always back off at 110-115 now.

It's amazing at how quickly the boost comes on with the RADIX. I think you would really be pleased with it if you went that route. After hearing about some of the issues with the ATI, I haven't thought twice about getting the RADIX not even once.

Where are you from ... maybe we can get together and go for a ride. It's pretty damn amazing if you ask me.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

im currently in cedar park which is like 5 miles north of austin.....

ive decided that im going to say screw transmission problems and just go with a built tranny before i do anything, the only thing i need to decide is wether to do supercharging or turbo, and if i do supercharging radix or ati, im thinking that ati is more for a strip supercharger, because i love the thrill of pullin hard all the way till u cant handle it, its more like a n/a engine, and i have been doing alot more research and without a good verter the ati just shifts, falls flat, accellerates, shifts falls flat, and that seems like it would be annyoing... the only other performance mod after this would be a cam, then the next thing would be totally building the motor, but that wouldnt be for a few years...will the radix have more long term problems?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

The RADIX is a very good unit. It has a 3yr/36k mile warranty on it. You can add the same warranty with a few stipulations, you should call MagnaCharger if you are really concerned about that though.

I think you would be happy with a RADIX. I'm in East TX, a long ways from Austin, otherwise I would say let's go for a ride.

The RADIX really seems to wake up even more with a cam, nothing radical, just a small one.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

where in east texas are you? i am going to dallas in a few weeks and i frequent tyler every so often..

and what kind of rwhp could i expect from the radix with a well matched cam and say a nelson tune?
Old 03-16-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm in Marshall, it's still about an hour at least from Tyler.

I have no idea what kind RWHP to expect. I know so far without a tune, that's what I'm running. I should have a tune this week, and retuned on with his wideband the following week.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

when u ran the 12.67 was that on drags or what?? thats pretty imperssive and does anyone have dynos of the 5.3 with radix? or what kind of numbers they have been seeing?
Old 03-16-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was on ET Streets. I ran a 13.42 @ 105 on GoodYear Eagle GT2's at the track with a 2.5 60'. These were both at different tracks, so weather has some effect on it. Weather was crappy for the 13.42 run, but even worse on the 12.67 run.

Maybe sometime your over in Tyler, we can meet up in Longview and go riding around a little bit. I'll tell ya though .. there is going to be a significant difference that you will notice in the torque converter.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

i dont want to change the overall driveability by adding a TC, maybe a mild one to wake it up but nothing extreme

Quick Reply: ATI or RADIX