Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ATI or RADIX

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATI or RADIX

well i thought i was pretty sure about my decision but in reality im torn between getting the ATI D1SC with 3 core or the magnacharger radix, im leaning more towards ati, runs moreboost, less harsh on drivetrain because it makes mid and high end power, this is for a rcsb silverado 5.3 and drives like a normal truck till you mash the gas. but from what i hear the ati will fall flat on its face between shifts and is pretty horrible out of the hole where as the radix is a beast thru the powerband, the other thing is new injectors and other stuff is needed to keep it safe where as the radix comes with everything u need. suggestioins, opinions, all welcome!!
Old 03-14-2004, 05:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

We've had this debate many times.

If you have lots of money and you want the best for daily driving get the Radix.

If you are short on money and/or want the best 1/4mile performance I say ATI. For the price of the ATI you can get injectors AND custom tuning and still be cheaper than the Radix.

I don't see how the ATI will fall on it's face between shifts with tuning
Old 03-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

I say Radix, its the performance part i have ever bought!
Old 03-14-2004, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

why is the radix better for daily driving than the ati, seems the ati would be better due to the fact that it drives like a normal truck till you hop on the gas.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Because the Radix produces great power at low RPMs so part throttle driving will be better and if you don't have a stall converter you will have gobs of power just off idle so there is no need to mash the pedal unless you really wanna show off.

The ATI takes more RPM to build full boost and as such requires more throttle input to really get going but once there it is no slug and will give awesome peak power in the upper RPM range.

Like I stated in another post. The reason the ATI style blowers work so well for 1/4mile or top speed runs is because you spend most of your time above 4000rpm which is where the centrifugals shine the most. In daily driving you spend most of your time below 4000rpm, especially on a stock stall converter so the roots style tend to be more fun. Kinda like that big block TQ feel. It's always been that way since back in the early 90s when people couldn't decide wether to do a Vortech or a Whipple for their trucks... I remember it took me a month to decide if I wanted to do a Kenny Bell (twin screw) or a Vortech for my Mustang. I decided Vortech and couldn't have been happier.

For the way I drive I prefer centrifugals. For someone who uses their truck more like a truck and less like a race car like I do then the Twin Screws are more applicable. Not to say you can't race a Radix though. They are great blowers. The Corvette guys love em too.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 6.0vette
I say Radix, its the performance part i have ever bought!

Old 03-14-2004, 07:54 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Both are a good choice, but it is going to depend on what you are looking for. The ATI will be good for the track, some fun on the street. The RADIX will be awsome for the street and lots of fun at the track. I have seen a lighting with the Eaton 112 run in the low low 11's. So dont count the RADIX out @ the track.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by F8LPONY
We've had this debate many times.

If you have lots of money and you want the best for daily driving get the Radix.

If you are short on money and/or want the best 1/4mile performance I say ATI. For the price of the ATI you can get injectors AND custom tuning and still be cheaper than the Radix.

I don't see how the ATI will fall on it's face between shifts with tuning
I have the ATI and with the stock stall, the rpm's drop to ~3500 after a shift. The ATI puts out~3psi at 3500rpm. Compared to full boost at the top of the shift, the bottom of the shift feels like you let off the gas. With my SS3800, the shifts drop to 5000 rpm, so it really needs a bigger stall with more shift extension.

Hate to put the ATI down because I have one, but the TRUTH is, with the same boost, and same stall, the RADIX will always be quicker in the 1/4 than the ATI. Way more average horsepower.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I guess I should have said with a stall converter the power drop would,nt be an issue.

But like I said before. If money is no object the go Radix all the way. For us cheap bastards the ATI looks good.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just buy the Radix and by happy. I had an ATI and loved it. It made huge power and was perfect for me.
However, that being said. I f*cked with the tuning every week, changed pullies 5 times, had 4.10s, and a decent stall. I only lost one race with it and that was to a single turbo Supra. The Supra was before the 15lb pulley .
Radix is perfect for 99% of people, totally streetable.
For all out power the ATI will win, with proper tuning.

Quick Reply: ATI or RADIX