Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH/possible kooks header-----------noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ARH/possible kooks header-----------noise?

Name:  headerinstallday005.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  59.6 KBName:  headerinstallday006.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  58.3 KBName:  headerinstallday008.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  60.3 KBName:  headerinstallday010.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  66.2 KBName:  headerinstallday003.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  39.2 KBHey
this is for all ARH on GMT900 truck owners
How much noise are you getting from them? To me I can hear the drivers side like it has a leak.At light throttle tip in light load.They sound tinny like cheap headers and you can hear the flow.Then I think its normal header sound but is the cab is so poorly insulated that you can hear every thing?.the tone changes ,it quiets some if I run long enough,i switched from OE gaskets to aftermarket,not seeing any signs of leaks or cracks,almost acts like a hiddden crack within.I have had these since new took them off for a while and enjoyed the quiet.put them back on with the supercharger 2 weeks ago, now living with what i didnt like before.The quality build of these I would expect the only time you knew you had these headers is when you got on it.
WHAT SAY YOU?

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 07-03-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Name:  headerinstallday003.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  39.2 KB
I have installed dozens of headers of all kinds on all rigs in my years,these are the best fitting,these are the easiest to install on this vehicale.tons of room no clearence issues

I have had cheap headers that were a bitch to install that had less sound effects than these

Let me know your GMT 900 header interior noise perspectives.

outside I hear no leak sounds, flange to head sealing seams solid

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 07-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're going to experience that header "ping" with any headers. The thinner the steel, the louder it will be. Your increased cylinder pressures with the new cam & blower will increase that noise as well. It's the "sound of power."

That's one reason why the manufacturers use cast iron manifolds.

You said you used new gaskets. Still might be worthwhile to check for exhaust leaks. I like to use a stethoscope with an open tube. Just probe all around each & every port. You'll hear an exhaust leak loud & clear if you have one.

I have also noticed the GMT900 trucks do seem louder inside, easier to hear every little thing. I think even the glass is thinner.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would spray soapy water around the exhaust flange to check for leaks.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
You're going to experience that header "ping" with any headers. The thinner the steel, the louder it will be. Your increased cylinder pressures with the new cam & blower will increase that noise as well. It's the "sound of power."

That's one reason why the manufacturers use cast iron manifolds.

You said you used new gaskets. Still might be worthwhile to check for exhaust leaks. I like to use a stethoscope with an open tube. Just probe all around each & every port. You'll hear an exhaust leak loud & clear if you have one.

I have also noticed the GMT900 trucks do seem louder inside, easier to hear every little thing. I think even the glass is thinner.

Well my first thought was the truck character is most of the complaint,it just comes thru what GM gave us on the 900,the 800 wasnt an issue with several brand headers ive done.

headers bouce a lot of noise getting the flow out but these are not thin they just sound thin.Ive always felt it was the truck but want to hear from others that live with this,no one ever be this critical?

the tuning hasnt showed any signs of exhaust complications.

very tempted to go back to OEM ,Roger what will that do to the tuning.Boost will be up right?

I will stethoscope again when i snug bolts second time since recent install

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 07-03-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I would spray soapy water around the exhaust flange to check for leaks.

,dont think its from flange or actual leaking or normal noise but transferes do to shitty GMt 900 design for resinance

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 07-03-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

IIRC you're still running a big pulley, 6-8 psi I'm guessing? Swapping the stock manis & Y would probably land you at an add'l 1-2 psi, and the added restriction will cost you some hp. Probably a good idea to retune for that to be safe.

Have you considered wrapping the headers instead?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Soapy water won't tell you anything. It will just evaporate off. Besides that, these things have zero backpressure at idle, and only 2-3 psi backpressure at 3000 rpm with completely stock exhaust. Even less with all aftermarket exhaust.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Soapy water won't tell you anything. It will just evaporate off. Besides that, these things have zero backpressure at idle, and only 2-3 psi backpressure at 3000 rpm with completely stock exhaust. Even less with all aftermarket exhaust.
100% agree The noise at light tip in throttle high gear was there before the FI and after,into the boost you cant hear ping or ringing,you are hearing other stuff...good stuff

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 07-03-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

IIRC you're still running a big pulley, 6-8 psi I'm guessing? Swapping the stock manis & Y would probably land you at an add'l 1-2 psi, and the added restriction will cost you some hp. Probably a good idea to retune for that to be safe.

Have you considered wrapping the headers instead?
Running 2.9 pulley just the way we started,wrapping I was dead set on wrapping them,this time i stalled these headers.knowing its hard on them but didnt care knowing i woudnt own it after the next 50k mi.

then i read something about how worthless wrapping was and how quick the deteriation could happen with any moisture .so i decided Fk it bolt on and go deal with the ping sound bouce as i did when the truck was new and so was the ARH

Option 1 toss on OEM & retune.

and then take header make gasket material solid piece to cover ports bolt it to test head, block off flange air pressure test it at O2 sensor
what other way to bench test header? maybe sound test on running vehicale
Im open bro

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 07-03-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: ARH/possible kooks header-----------noise?