Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH + 4" Duramax exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
hmmm... very interested...
Me too. I really have no idea what to expect for the sound. I know the performance will be there.

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Thats deffinately gonna get your trap speed where it should be.Bet you lose 2#'s of boost and run faster/ quiker after the re-tune.
I think it will make a big difference on the big end. When combined with my new gearing and tire changes, I'm setting my sights on 11's. We shall see.

Originally Posted by 02gmcbandit
what muffler is that? looking to upgrade my muffler due to seeing how it restricted my new headers alot
Part of the AFE Duramax kit I bought. Sure doesn't appear to be restrictive.

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
You finally ditched the stock exhaust? Awesome!!! You'll be putting down some serious times now! Subscribed for videos of how it sounds!
Yep, low 12's thru stock exhaust/cats, with a crappy 2.25" kink-bent set of pipes. I felt the need for an improvement in the exhaust, and my tax return helped make this happen.

Once I have it installed, I'll post pics and vids. I'm just as interested to see how this turns out as you are. It's gonna be next week probably. It seems that the 4L65E is wanting some love right now also.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be willing to be it is going to sound damn close to mine.. If your not running cats, or any other muffler.. Plus your def gona pick up some ponies.. Now get that **** put on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4JXkRi1qhw
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a real similar setup on my truck which was ecsb.It had a real deep throat rumble.The only thing that got old was a pretty deep drone at freeway speeds especially on passenger side.I changed the muffler out to a big case 4"inlet 4"outlet Flowmaster and imo. It is the best sounding setup Ive heard.Driving characteristics changed with jus the muff. swap.Truck seemed to pickup lowend torque at part throttle and wot.Little to no change in boost or topend or at least butt dyno couldnt tell.It did get rid of a healthy amount of the drone too.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:32 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

When removing the current exhaust, found out the guy cut off the 2 rear-most stock hangers & welded his own hangers on. So tomorrow the headers will go on. Then I'll get hangers welded back on in the stock locations.

The Y-pipe and the rest of the exhaust will have to wait until I get my transmission back.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:36 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
I had a real similar setup on my truck which was ecsb.It had a real deep throat rumble.The only thing that got old was a pretty deep drone at freeway speeds especially on passenger side.I changed the muffler out to a big case 4"inlet 4"outlet Flowmaster and imo. It is the best sounding setup Ive heard.Driving characteristics changed with jus the muff. swap.Truck seemed to pickup lowend torque at part throttle and wot.Little to no change in boost or topend or at least butt dyno couldnt tell.It did get rid of a healthy amount of the drone too.
Just out of curiosity, what gear ratio/tire size were you running? When I'm driving 74mph, I'm at around 2200 rpm, "the drone-zone". My old setup was loud at that rpm, but didn't drone. (Actually, it was loud all the time, but fairly quiet in the cab). Apparently my truck is well known around town, people hear me coming before they see me coming.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats going to be one sweet set up, i Really like the ARH headers, they would look really nice ceramic coated. Get some pictures up after your install. Good luck on breaking into 11's!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Same ratio as you rpms lookin close too.Drone came in earlier though I assume being a 4.8l may have been a factor.IIRC about 70mph was loudest cleared up good by 80 but,I cant do 80 everywhere.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

To me, there's a difference between loud exhaust at a certain rpm, and drone. If it's loud, I can deal with that(to a point), I have a pretty awesome sound system. I'll never even hear the exhaust if I don't want to.

Drone, however, is a completely different story. I hate it, and can hear/feel drone even if the tunes are cranked up.

John, what did you do for your tailpipe? I haven't decided on that yet. Also, does yours drone much with that Edelbrock?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

My brother said it rumbled his chest.Didnt really believe him so I tried out passenger side to see.He wasent kiddin **** it sounded like the exhaust was in the cab.I always thoughT the fukr had hearing problems cause,I'd have to repeat myself quite a bit crusin around.You could not carry a normal conversation over it.Dont get me wrong it didnt sound like a bad or raspy drone jus f-en rumbled your head pretty damn good.This was with single 4" passenger side exit after the tire.For what its worth cats cleaned it up with the first muffler.I jus get board and like to change my exhaust till its perfect for me.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jus listened to john's clip I will say the noise db's sound close.Your exhaust is gonna be a low rumble with a flutter like your hearing the air exit.This is more pronounced at idle.

Quick Reply: ARH + 4" Duramax exhaust