Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

anyone seen this turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet that with tuning new injectors some ceramic coating you could hit 500 RWHP with 7-10 PSI.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

hey slow, do that texas joint have a website or pics on their setup?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:46 PM
Banned

i have their card and it doesn't have a website on it. i'm going to call Billy tomorrow and ask him some questions...i'll get that info when i call them for ya.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see the guy has a turbo kit that is cheaper,easier to install and he tells you the turbo is designed with turbo lag in mind.None of the other builders of turbo kits think that a rear mounted turbo is the way to go.It sounds to me like the system is built with price as the foremost factor and not performance.Remember you get want you pay for.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=whitt1]Let's see the guy has a turbo kit that is cheaper,easier to install and he tells you the turbo is designed with turbo lag in mind.None of the other builders of turbo kits think that a rear mounted turbo is the way to go.-
Or to play 's advocate-none of the other builders sell a kit like that for that price. Just food for thought. I honestly don't know, but you have to take all things into account.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Mortgage Banker Mod

Originally Posted by cmotorsports
The car (STS) made decent power (410rwhp in an F-Body), but it is what it is. Seth

On STS's website it lists the stock LT1 kit making over 100rwhp than that:

I gained 69% HP and increased my 1/4 mile speed by 14 mph at only 7 psi. It drives like a stock Camaro until you stick your foot into it and the boost hits. With a few mods and 10 psi boost I am pounding on Bullet Bikes! Talk about the ultimate street sleeper: 522 rwhp and 620 rwtq through stock heads, cam, and exhaust. I pop the hood and people have no idea that it is even turbocharged.

http://www.ststurbo.com/testimonials

I'm not a customer of theirs or anything, just ran across that. I'm actually eyeing a cmotorsports package for our Yukon.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Ya if i had the cash flow i would get a cmotorsports kit because they are the most detailed by the sounds of it. Just reading from you guys and it seems like Seth really knows his ****. Except No Subscitute CMOTORSPORTS
Old 02-15-2004, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

let me give you a lil heads up. i am from nyc, and i custom build turbos for imports lol
just started to get into trucks. from the looks of any system i seen on this forum being built, most of the equipment aside from the fabbing of the manifolds and piping is around $1500-max $2000. But most likely $1500....if you figure fabbing piping and exhaust manifolds factor in $1000-$1500 for someone who is doing solely for their self with an outside company. The problem arises, knowledge of putting it together, placement, sizing turbo, injectors, and most of all tuning.

Key to all of this is sizing the turbo, tuning, and placement in the engine bay. Heat issues are among the biggest factors.

Personally I think a rear mounted turbo is a phenomenal idea. Porsche & Audi do it, so do some LT1 & LS1 camaros and firebird kits. Mid to rear mount.

LAG is lag, a 1 second pause before you feel boost? I dont think thats suffering. Either way you look at it, any turbo vechile today, if set properly, you wont feel boost immediately, unless you got a 5 speed and rev the engine before the gear switches first. Automatics, no matter how good the kit is you will have some pause regardless of how excellent it was put together.

The idea is to setup a kit for an automatic 5.3 or 6.0 engine which will perform to our tastes, run more effiecently then a supercharger with overall less stress on the engine.

Turbos, personally, are the only way to go, over an supercharger.

Whether I go with Kurt from Wheel to Wheel, which I will tell you is by far the best choice for any kit to go with, no offense to anyone; but from knowing who they are and their relationship to GM overall, their conjunction with prototyping and development of engines for GM puts them in the category of #1 choice.

Please understand this has no reflection on any other kit builder here, because they may have overall a very good kit to come out.

The STS kit is an excellent idea and something which I may very well go with the "idea" but fab it myself. or may go with Kurt at Wheel to Wheel.

Just food for thought and sorry if I blabbed to much lol

Thanx.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Launching!

I do not think that rear mounted turbo's are a bad thing at all. They are what they are, cheap to make, easy to install, etc. No matter what anybody that sells them says, they are limited in horsepower simply because the exhaust energy lost through all of that tubing limits the exhaust A/R to a smaller size to reduce lag. They obviously work, 417rwhp on an otherwise stock F-Body is nothing to laugh at. The major issue I personally have with these guys is the misleading of customers that there is no fuel or tuning needed. That's insane. Yes it will run, and you'll drive away from the install shop a happy camper...you just picked up 100+horsepower. But is IS running lean, and it IS seeing knock retard. Turbo's and supercharger's can hurt internal parts faster than you can blink your eyes if not properly tuned. They'll learn this, then the companies will come out with some sort of tuning device that helps, probably an FMU, and say that somehow before fuel was not needed, now it is. They shouldn't be puting the kits on then if they are risking the customer's car. Now, this is just my opinion, not the company's, but I've built numberous turbo and supercharger systems and none of the stock fuel and tuning has ever been safe. The cars would run, but I could not sleep at night knowing that there is a major risk to somebody's engine.