Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone rebuilt a 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goshawk23
randy, you have to consider tuning and how high the shifts are set at for et reduction. we all know a mail order tune isn't gonna yeild the numbers you can get off a dyno. let alone, tuning at the track for some gains. i also think most mail order tunes are off the shelf so to speak with a few adjustments here and there. the truck is being shifted pretty low (6200 or 6300). hell, i am shifting my truck a few hundred rpms lower than that. so don't let the 12.50 fool you. i think he could drop a few tenths if he would raise that shift point to at least 6500/6600. i know you shift way up there. so we know it will hold it. what are the et diffs between you shifting at 6200 vice 6700 or 6800 rpms. i will say at least a few tenths.

now on to 5.3's sucking. i disagree wholeheartedly on that one. it may end up being cheaper to find a used 6.0 rather than build a 5.3L but i am impressed with 5.3's in bigkids truck and randy's truck and the others that are ******* the **** out of s/c or turbo trucks.....via n/a or with nitrous..
you are write for one I don't know were you are him are shifting.and yes it does make a big difference if i shift early it about 1.5 tenths and for mail order tuning that is why i don't suggest them because there is always room for improvement and you end up spending more money than a person needs to to get to their goals.if you was to get a dyno tune and get max out of your pcm you would probably be in the low 12s high 11s.that is why i tell people to do as much to the motor as they plan on and go get a dyno tuue it isjust a few dollars more and well worth it.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crows_camaro
To the original poster.....
I understand your desire for a rebuild, but I've got to say if their is anyway possible then save up just a little more and do the 6.0 swap. I believe you would be extremely happy with the possibilities it opens up.

Randy Grabert
12.59 @104.76 1.64 60'
Must be all thoughs E-fans giving you all that extra power and lower times. j/k

I say lets end the debate of what OTHER people's trucks should be running because you can never know their situations. They may be concerned about reliability, life of engine, or money. You never know.

All I gotta say is Line it up with Dirty Silver in Hatty I'm sure if you name a Sunday he'll be on the line waiting on you to show. But for some reason I think he will be waiting on you too show for a long long time, but I hope not because I think that yall two would be a very good race. Also that way maybe we all can get ahold of the guys you talk about and maybe find out what they do diferently.

BTW we need to make sure we get a VID of that race

guys @ work are makeing plans to go in 3 sundays i we let you'll know just like i did the last time.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just need to clear a few things up. i have the rcsb with the 6.0 that randy is talking about. i went last wed. night to gulfport and ran a 12.74 @ 105.8 1.85 60ft. the truck has a custom tune for a 5.3 not a stock tune and i let the truck shift on its own 6400 rpm not 6k. the truck also has 3.73 gears.
mods are as follows lq9 with stock heads (no port work and have not been shaved) comp 222/224 cam, 918's, LT's, undrive pulley, elec fans, TB convertor, cut outs, ported TB.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Truck addict

yea make sure you post up when you go randy. i am thinking of going this friday night. maybe in three weeks i'll have a nitrous set up so i can feel semi fast. lol
Old 03-27-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks to be a good meet if we all can meet up on the same Sunday. I'm going to call Allen Monday and get him to send me a pcm with a higher shift point(maybe around 6500, but I'll get his opinion on that.) I also need to talk to TnTrk53 about logging a run or two so I can get a file to send to Allen and show him what's going on down the track. He might could send me alittle warmer tune. I'm planning on using my vacation time to drive down to Allens place and get a dyno tune, then hitting npr on my way home. I hope all of this gets done before my nitrous gets put on, because I do want a better time on motor first.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

I want in on this action too, ive run a pretty good number with a 6.0
Old 03-27-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Back to the original topic:

I had my 5.3 rebuilt after I blew the #7 piston from running lean on 10 pounds of boost. I decided to rebuild instead of upgrading to a 6.0 for several reasons. First, I live in Cali an I was afraid of smog regulations. Second, I figured I could rebuild the 5.3 with forged parts so I could build it for boost instead of worry about blowing a brand new 6.0.