Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb all wheel drive?

ok im posting this here (probably in the wrong spot).... anyway i would like to put an awd system on my truck, its an 06 4x4 rcsb with a 5.3, now im fairly sure it can be done by changing out the x-fer case to one out of an ss or awd denali or yukon and maybe changing the front end somehow to make it engaged all the time but, i need some help. anyone with help would be appreciated especially in the technical stuff. give me some ideas!!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

WHY????????????? Push auto track.

Worse mileage
No burnouts
Waste money
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

i didnt ask for criticism, i asked for help with the knowledge on how the awd xfer case works and what else i would need to change...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, install a full time case, delete ur switch with a pocket from a truck with floor shift. Then take the front end out and replace the passenger mount and axle assembly with one from a silverado ss, so fully lock the front diff. That should about make ur truck awd. Here is the knowledge after u got the criticism.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, mechanically it would work with an NVG-149 from an '01 C3, '02 thru '07 classic Sierra Denali, '03 thru '07 SS Silverado, and the early model Yukon Denali and Escalade's before the '03 models, when they went to Borg Warner units. The front axle is different on trucks that have a selectable 4wd axle in that they use a two piece passenger side axle, where the awd trucks and vehicles with the non-selectable axle have a one piece passenger side axle. You can tell them apart by whether or not there is an actuator mounted on the passenger side of the center section by the axle tube. I hope this helps.

Last edited by 1Bear; 07-31-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Launching!

well a true awd is much different, this is a awd front concept with your factory rear end 4x4 set up. Most of GM's awd systems use the abs to control the power sent to corrosponding wheels. I would spend alot of time on big ss forums, denali forums, escalade forums to learn about the system and this will also be the cheapest way to find the parts you need. There are people with these awd systems that want to convert to a push button style system. Good luck, keep researching and let us know what you find
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

ok so the nvg-149 should bolt right to and be mechanically compatible with my 4l60 and as long as i swap out the front drive axle assembly to the full time unit, it should work then? oh and btw thank you silveradol33 but what do you mean replace the passenger mount and axle assembly? and wouldnt i want to leave the front diff open?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would I be safe to assume that the PCM would have to be tuned accordingly also?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

I commend you for your curiosity as to how to do this but from a cost standpoint I still can't figure out why you would want to, unless your truck is a 2wd. As mentioned above, the Auto 4x4 button on the switch does prettty much the same thing. Youll have the traction before the wheel slips.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:32 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is a older post... but I felt that I had to say my $.02. The NVG 149 case and autotrac case are not the same. The autotrac and other 4x4 cases lock the front and rears together. The nvg 149 case defaults to I think 38% front and 62% rear and will be able to alter the split. Go drive one in snow or low traction surfaces and the driving dynamics are very different(not just grip but how you can play with the chasis and dance the truck). The only thing I don't like about my awd is hwo you can't turn it off, but during low traction events.. I love the dynamics of the awd

Quick Reply: all wheel drive?