Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AirRaid MIT or True flow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirRaid MIT or True flow?

I'm looking for people's opinions who have either of these systems. Also if you can think of any other intake that keeps the stock air box then I'd like to hear about it.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I thought about the MIT, but I did a search on fullsizechevy awhile back and found that most everybody thought it was $100 wasted.

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to keep the stock air box?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

I installed the k&n series 63. in goes in the exact same spot, and can switch out very easily!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Veteran

I am running a true flow air filter in the stock box with an AirAid MIT. I have been very pleased with its results. I went with the stock box from testing with my previous truck. My 04 Crew Cab I was running an open element airraid intake and MIT. In testing with a buddies laptop tuner, the IAT's were insane with the open filter, with the stock box setup, IAT's were much lower. Plus the truck ran much stronger with the stock box setup, and was less tempermental.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

I want to keep the stock air box cause I know it breathes good enough. I also like how it is totally prtected from the rest of the engine bay and doesn't just have a "heat shield" It's my opinion, it might be wrong, but I just like the airbox better.

L33Z71: Can you hear a little more engine grumble with the True-flow?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by exhappen
I want to keep the stock air box cause I know it breathes good enough. I also like how it is totally prtected from the rest of the engine bay and doesn't just have a "heat shield" It's my opinion, it might be wrong, but I just like the airbox better.

L33Z71: Can you hear a little more engine grumble with the True-flow?

Ex,

No, I can't really tell much of a difference in sound actually. Its much quieter than the open cone filter style like airaid, IMO. And the only real reason I did the true flow filter paired with the airaid MIT was cost. The complete true flow kit, costs around 250 or so I think. I got the filter off ebay for about 30 bucks and bought the MIT from a buddy of mine that owns a truck accessory shop on the east side of houston for about 85 bucks. Works just the same to me. I am a firm believer after me and my tuner did some testing with the stock box.

The true flow filter is a great one though. I was originally using it on my Z71 and after several trips out mudding and worrying about the filter. I checked the filter and intake, and came to find that yes, the pre-filter foam was a little muddy, not caked though, but the cloth element behind it, was bone dry and there was not one trace of any mud/water/dirt/ etc.... within the tube or throttle body.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by exhappen
I'm looking for people's opinions who have either of these systems. Also if you can think of any other intake that keeps the stock air box then I'd like to hear about it.
I had the MIT and K&n, it did not make any difference over the stock box until i did the cat back and the even then not much. A mag did a test and found the old stock airbox mod was just as good as any aftermarket open air system they tested. I think colby posted the link before.

Go to a ram air setup now, volant or vara-ram your motor and future mods will thank you.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

dont count out UPD. thats what i have and love it. it just replaces the lid and tube to your factory box, so you keep the lower part of the box. here is a pic.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

is UPD still in business? i ordered an intake from them like 5 months ago (finally went wiht SLP) but they never sent me a confirmation, wouldn't answer the phone, Nothing..
Old 06-09-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

i have no clue. i heard they have horible customer service. i got mine used from a member so all i got was their product. i love this intake.

Quick Reply: AirRaid MIT or True flow?