Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 on the way, lots of questions(long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 02:30 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6.0 on the way, lots of questions(long)

looks like the 6.0 swap is going to happen and i have many questions. I am going to do a converter and headers at the same time. going to leave the 5.3 pully on the whipple untill the bugs are worked out and later bumb the boost back up to 6 or 7lbs.

first question I am buying a 6.0 out of a 2002 deanali, they rate that engine at 320hp, anyone know where the extra 20hp comes from? it has the same compresion as the 300hp version, i am hoping it is in the cam because i am not geting much more than a longblock.

there is no flexplate, can i use my 5.3 flexplate

any oponions on a converter, it will either be the yank truck thruster 2600 or the 3000, what are the goods and bads of those converters for my set up?

best place to get a good deal on the yank and a set of ASM headers?

injectors, i am going to try and use my stock injectors to get it up and running, and take it easy untill i know the fuel system is going to be ok, when i do step up to larger injectors can i use the same type as the f bodys or do our trucks have a diferent style?

anyone think i will need or would benifit form the larger 6.0 radiator? i wont be doing any heavy towing, mabey a car on a trailer at most.

thanks for any help, i will be asking you guys alot of questions and i hope you dont get sick of me and i will be keeping you all informed as to how this works out.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 6.0 on the way, lots of questions(long)

I read in a magazine a while back that they use different heads to get the 20 extra hp.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">best place to get a good deal on the yank and a set of ASM headers?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tbyrne has the ASM's, it's where I got mine. He also has the Yank and so does Yank here on the site. Look in the sponsor setion and keep and eye out for a GP on converters. If you are planning on towing a car, I wouldn't go any higher than a 3200.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">first question I am buying a 6.0 out of a 2002 deanali, they rate that engine at 320hp, anyone know where the extra 20hp comes from? it has the same compresion as the 300hp version, i am hoping it is in the cam because i am not geting much more than a longblock. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the differance here is the computer tuning, not real sure though. I know the Escalade has differant pistons. Don't know about the flexplate.

I'm sure Jason and Joeseph will chime in and answer all your questions, since they have done it.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

i read somewhere that extra 20 ponies is there on the truck 6.0 also they just rate the denali at higher rpm than the truck engine to make there top of line suv look powerful
Old 05-01-2002, 12:56 AM
Teching In

I believe you are getting the LQ9, if so that has LS6 heads. That is the extra HP.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by KOSW:
<strong>I believe you are getting the LQ9, if so that has LS6 heads. That is the extra HP.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The denalis come with the LQ4 engine, the only vehicles to get the LQ9 are the Escalade and the Escalde XLT. Also, even though the 6.0L heads are very similar to the ls6 heads, they arent the same exact heads. Both share the D-shaped exhaust ports, but the 6.0L heads will have a slightly larger combustion chamber in order to accomadate the larger displacement

cant remember off the top of my head what has been changed but if you do a search for it you will find it. its been asked a few times before

<small>[ May 01, 2002, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: really slow truck ]</small>