Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 HD Vs. 6.0 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 PM
KDT
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheatley does all my tuning! He did my wifes 04 denali with a 89 tune and everything else bone stock it ran a 15.0 @ 92mph! My other truck a 03 1500hd he put a 89 tune and boy did that truck wake up! My hd move very well for a crewcab, and the 1500hd has the 4l80e and the 14 bolt with 3:73 not the 4:10 the 2500hds have. My 1500hd would pull on my wifes denali before i got a tune on hers! Since the 89tune on the denali Charlie did a 93 tune and now i have 05/06 e-fans a cold air intake and corsa, That truck moves out for a truck! Call Charlie he is the man!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Agreed, plus:
300-400 pound difference= .3-.4 difference
30-50 rwhp parasitic drivetrain loss compared to a 4l60e and 10 bolt= .3-.5 difference
Slightly more horsepower(I forget the exact numbers).

You are talking about a .8-1.2 second difference in the 1/4 mile
so is the LQ4 or LQ9 slower?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toadster
so is the LQ4 or LQ9 slower?
LQ4 is a less powerful engine, coupled with a heavier drivetrain, heavier truck, and a taller 1st gear of the 4l80e all make for a slower 2500hd than an SS.

The last time I checked these were the #'s

LQ4 300hp/360tq
LQ9 345hp/380tq
Old 03-24-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think everybody has said this but a nice cam and some good tuning will wake that truck up
Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Yukon/XL Engine Specifications

Type: 6.0L V8 LQ4

Displacement: 5967 cc

Compression Ratio: 9.4:1

Valve Configuration: Overhead Valves

Assembly Site: Romulus, MI

Valve Lifters: Hydraulic Roller

Firing Order: 1 - 8 - 7 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3

Bore x Stroke: 101.60 x 92.00 mm

Fuel System: Sequential Fuel Injection

Horsepower: 325@5000 rpm

Torque (lb-ft): 370@4000 rpm

Fuel Shut Off: 5600 rpm

Emissions Controls:
Evaporate System
Catalytic Converter
Exhaust Gas Recircultation
Positive Crankcase Ventilation

MATERIALS

Block: Cast Iron

Cylinder Head: Cast Aluminum

Intake Manifold: Composite

Exhaust Manifold: High Silicon Molybdenum Cast Nodular Iron

Main Bearing Caps: Powder Metal

Crankshaft: Cast Iron with Undercut and Rolled Fillets

Camshaft: Steel

Connecting Rods: Forged Powder Metal

Additional Features:
Extended Life Spark Plugs
Extended Life Coolant
Oil Level Sensor
Electronic Throttle Control

"Vortec 6000" 6.0L V8 (LQ4) Features & Benefits

OVERVIEW
The LQ4 Vortec 6000 V8 begins the 21st century with nearly a dozen improvements, starting with aluminum cylinder heads and new cam that increase horsepower as much as 10 percent. The LQ4 continues to deliver class-leading torque and smooth, even power delivery.

NEW OR CHANGED FOR 2001 MODEL YEAR

* New Aluminum Cylinder Heads and Gaskets
* New Camshaft
* Natural Gas Option for Heavy-Duty
* Short Rear Crankshaft Hub and Revised Flywheel
* Reduced Main Bearing Tolerances
* Two-Point Coolant Vapor Vents
* Revised Intake Manifold
* Improved Catalytic Converters
* Improved Mass Air Flow Sensor with Temperature Sensor
* Extended Oil Change Interval
* Sleeveless Coolant Sensor

CUSTOMER BENEFITS

NEW HEADS
New aluminum cylinder heads replace the cast-iron heads used on the 2000 Vortec 6000. The heads are similar in design to those developed for the 2001 LS6 Corvette V8. Intake and exhaust ports are identical to those in the LS6 head, refined and more precisely cast, for an increase in volumetric efficiency. The LQ4 heads have a larger combustion chamber, leaving a compression ratio of 9.5:1 compared to 10.5:1 in the LS6. New, more durable, triple-layer steel head gaskets maintain proper heat conductivity with the LQ4's cast-iron engine block.

CAMSHAFT
A new steel camshaft, unique to the LQ4, is the single biggest contributor to the increase in horsepower. The cam increases valve lift and duration slightly to take full advantage of the increase in volumetric efficiency allowed by the new cylinder head design. See Product Specifications for horsepower and torque levels.

NATURAL GAS
The LQ4 can be equipped to run on natural gas in heavy-duty Sierras. Because there is no liquid in compressed natural gas, the cylinder heads operate at higher temperatures, creating additional potential for valve and valve seat wear. LQ4s equipped for natural gas have valve seats and intake valves manufactured of 322 high-copper alloy, and are validated at 200,000 miles of service.

CRANK HUB
LQ4s for standard duty pickups are now fitted with a shorter rear crankshaft hub shared with Vortec 4800 and 5300 V8s. Vortec 6000s so equipped will also share their flywheel with the 4800 and 5300. The changes allow the LQ4 to be equipped with a light-duty 4L60E automatic transmission in pickups and sport utilities whose Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) do not require the heavy-duty version.

MORE PRECISE BEARING FIT
Smaller tolerances in the crankshaft main bearings mean a more precise fit. The result is an increase in long-term durability and, just as importantly, a reduction in something known to engineers as "cold knock"--a slight slapping noise from the engine before it reaches full operating temperature.

FEWER VENTS
The number of water pump vapor vents has been reduced from four to two, thereby reducing cost. The vents are located in the cylinder heads, and release gas from localized coolant aeration around the combustion chambers, preventing air pockets that restrict coolant flow. Experience has shown that two vents are sufficient.

REVISED INTAKE MANIFOLD
The intake manifold has an improved purge isolator--the rubber device used to mount the solenoid that manages fuel injection-to reduce noise and vibration. The new manifold also has a new, more durable injector director plate, with two large holes rather than four smaller ones to reduce potential for clogging. Finally, the manifold has mounting bosses for an improved acoustical cover for Denali, which reduces noise emanating from the engine.

BETTER CATS
The 2001 LQ4 is fitted with a pair of 50-ci "mid-coupled" catalytic converters located halfway between the engine and the primary converters. New production techniques allow the 74-ci primary converters to be manufactured with less precious metal, at considerably lower cost. A new catalytic coating and thin-wall catalyst substrate--the source of the catalytic reaction that turns exhaust emissions to harmless vapor--allow improved performance with less platinum, palladium and other precious metals in the converter.

With the new converter combination, the LQ4 is National Low Emission Vehicle (NLEV) certified. LQ4s built for California have converters with higher precious metal content. Those used in heavy-duty pickups have 150-ci converters manufactured with the same precious-metal reducing process as the 74-ci converters.

BETTER MAF
A new Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor features an integral inlet air temperature sensor, which allows the Powertrain Control Module to adjust for optimal performance at a given air temperature. The result is more efficient combustion and fewer emissions in all operating conditions.

LONGER OIL CHANGE INTERVAL
New computer algorithms extend the maximum oil change interval from 7,500 to 10,000 miles. The Powertrain Control Module records engine temperature and length of operation at a given temperature, then indicates an oil change when it's actually needed, rather than according to a predetermined interval. With new data on real-world customer use, Powertrain engineers have adjusted the software to allow the longer maximum oil change interval.

COOLANT SENSOR
The LQ4 is equipped with a new coolant temperature sensor. The sensor uses a plastic insulator to protect electrical leads inside the brass housing, rather than a rubber sleeve, and reduces the possibility of assembly rejection or shorting in operation.

CONTINUING FEATURES
"It's been said that overhead valves couldn't deliver the performance, fuel efficiency or low emissions required of the 21st century. We've proven the doubters wrong, and we've done it in a smooth, quiet, compact package." --John Juriga, Total Integration Engineer, GEN III V8s

LEADERSHIP
The LQ4 keeps Powertrain at the leading edge in the heart of the new-vehicle market: full-size pickups and sport utility vehicles. "Suburban 2500s come with a 300-hp 6.0-liter V-8...from the Vortec family of small-block V-8s that first appeared in the latest Corvette and then the Silverado. They are arguably the most advanced pushrod engines in the world and are impressively smooth and powerful...hauling the bulk of the Suburban without straining or complaining." [Editors Note: Vortec 6000 horsepower ratings increase for model year 2001.] --CAR AND DRIVER, November 1999
Old 05-23-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Glad I was looking at old posts...I could use this.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 PM

You could alway pick up a used set od 243 heads you get better compression and do a 224/224tr or a eps 222/226
Old 05-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Man Motor club

Thread from the dead...
Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ap2002
yeah not much difference, but your truck is heavier plus has the 4l80e tranny so that alone kills alot when comparing it to the SS, i would suggest a custom tune and a small cam for that big pig and it should really wake it up, a 212/218 will work well in that heavy truck...
This is what I was thinking. A 212/218 in my lq4 4l80e. Not looking for high rpm power just a good solid step or 2 up from stock. Most people seem to say go bigger though.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Thread from the dead...
Hey the search feature is a wonderful thing. I even found some from 2k5 that helped me out too.

Originally Posted by 00silvylq4
This is what I was thinking. A 212/218 in my lq4 4l80e. Not looking for high rpm power just a good solid step or 2 up from stock. Most people seem to say go bigger though.
This is the one I got. Haven't installed it yet. Wondering if I'mma put it in the LQ9 or get a 210/218.

Quick Reply: 6.0 HD Vs. 6.0 SS?