Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 to 6.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.3 to 6.0 swap

5.3 to 6.0 swap what did you pay and where did you get it from. Alot of people are saying its cheaper to do a 6.0 swap with a cam then to do heads and a cam on a 5.3 Im just wondering where I can get a 6.0 for that cheap, under 2k.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe you can get more bang for the buck with a swap.If you had to pay someone to do your work I believe the labor cost would be close H&C vs engine R&R.I believe you will gain more TQ and that is what you need for a heavy truck.The best thing about this board is all the help you can get,rather than looking for a retail shop to do the work you should post your location in case someone on this board can help you do the swap for a minamal fee and with what you save on labor you could afford a few extras.Keep your eye on the classified section in this forum and ebay,ask a of questions here or first try the "search" and:http://car-part.com/
Old 01-08-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
I believe you can get more bang for the buck with a swap.If you had to pay someone to do your work I believe the labor cost would be close H&C vs engine R&R.I believe you will gain more TQ and that is what you need for a heavy truck.The best thing about this board is all the help you can get,rather than looking for a retail shop to do the work you should post your location in case someone on this board can help you do the swap for a minamal fee and with what you save on labor you could afford a few extras.Keep your eye on the classified section in this forum and ebay,ask a of questions here or first try the "search" and:http://car-part.com/

I bought a brand new 6.0 complete in a crate for $2400. The R&R is approx $800 depending on shop rates. The standardized labour according to the chilton guide is 10 hours for the R&R.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

H&C vs engine R&R

What does this mean?
Sorry I just don't know
Old 01-08-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

H&C= heads and ram
R&R= remove and replace
Old 01-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Can you use the same ECU , or do you have to buy another ?? Also , what else dom you need going from a 4.8 to a 6.0 ??
Old 01-08-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SierraSport
Can you use the same ECU , or do you have to buy another ?? Also , what else dom you need going from a 4.8 to a 6.0 ??

All is the same. In my case I purchased the 03 LQ4 which should hookup direct. I will run the Kenne Bell on top of the motor. All the electrical hookup are identical. I had to find a motor without EGR as my 5.3 had none. The ECU should be reprogrammed for the new engine. Currently Im l
going to get tuning at PCM for less as they have successfully programmed a similiar vehicle (6.0 with a whipple S/C) In the future I plan to do my own tuning with HP tuners.

Old 01-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Im planning on going with Nelson Tune .. I can use all the EGR stuff off my truck .. The intake & Exhaust Manifolds should bolt up right ??
Old 01-08-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SierraSport
Im planning on going with Nelson Tune .. I can use all the EGR stuff off my truck .. The intake & Exhaust Manifolds should bolt up right ??
They will bolt up. I used the intake off of my 4.8L, but went with the Thorleys over the stock exhaust manifolds. Are you really wanting to keep the egr? I just made plates to cover the egr entrances, then had Allen cut all of that off with the tune.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still dont see it, I can get p/p heads, cam, gaskets, bolts and rods for around 1600 install is going to be around 350 thats a total of 1950 for an NA motor that will give me a good 350 at the wheel (obviously with other bolt ons). I know the 6.0 has alot more potential and my tq numbers will be low with the 5.3, ktmrider just sent me a car craft article where they got 458 out of a 5.3 NA (props man preciate it). By my math Id need to get a 6.0 for around 1500 and then it still wouldnt give me the numbers that Id be getting with the 5.3 and bolt ons. If Im missing something let me know.

If anyone has parts I can use pm me

rock on

Quick Reply: 5.3 to 6.0 swap