Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

2005 Gm Trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Gm Trucks?

Whats the word on the new L33 motor, does it feel any better than the other? Also what do you owners think about the new brakes? I bought an 04' 9 mos. ago and last week it got smashed when I was changing my tire on the side of the road! Now I'm curious about the new 05's and the changes. Fill me in please! Thanks guys.... and girls, if there are any here!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was wondering the same about the l33
Old 12-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Launching!

now what are the diffs on these new motors???
Old 12-29-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they got 310 hp!
Old 12-29-2004, 08:06 AM
Teching In

The L33 is an aluminum block w/ cast iron sleeves instead of a full cast iron block. And both have aluminum heads. It also uses an electric fan or fans to keep it cool instead of using the engine. I don't know where the power is gained, by taking the fan off, higher compression, I don't know what the answer is. There is not a lot of info on this new version of the 5.3. GM also doesn't say much about the new rear drum breaks, or at least I haven't found the info yet! Anybody with info can chime in! Thanks!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've driven one. it's a pretty nice upgrade, but don't bother getting one if you only get the 3.42 gear. with the 3.42 gear it's awfull. get the L33 with the 4.10 and you'll have a nice daily driver ready for some mods.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

They went back to drum breaks???? Why??? Really sorry to hear about your truck TheNMkid. That sucks ***.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default OOP'S, Duplicate Post Deleted.

Sorry. Se Below.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I Have an 05 Z71

First The Motor, Then The Brakes.

5300 HO Engine, RPO L33, Rated @ 310 HP

When I got my truck in 11/1/04 the dealer said GM has put out a memo to dealership inventory ordering personnel stating the L33 option in these trucks has been restricted for the time being. They come and go. He now has 8 units on the lot with L33's. They come in ECSB 4x4's only.

Deep Skirt Aluminum Block with cast in place steel sleeves. This is basically a 6 bolt main where the block extends below the crankshaft center line allowing for more rigidity and two more main bearing cap bolts to enter from the sides. The old hemi's and American motors used deep skirt blocks.

High-strength cast iron crank shaft is internally balanced and has under cut and rolled fillets to reduce stress loads. The design provides quiet running and reduces maintenance.

Flat Top Coated Pistons (Slap Eliminator?)
Floating Wrist Pins (Slap Eliminator?)
LS6 Heads (YES!)
More Cam
More Compression
More Tuning
Electric Fans (Nice! And they do not kick in above 40 or 45 mph) (Cooler in cab AC temps when idling in a parking lot or city traffic jams.) (No clutch to rob power or mpg in city driving too either)

I have an 05 Z71 ECSB loaded out with 3k miles on it. She is starting to show signs of running MUCH better than my 03 did with OE tuning and getting better. It shifts MUCH more positive and faster than the 03 did also.
The motor was really tight when new.

I would like to note the lighter motor equates into less body roll and the truck sits a tad higher.

I had 3.73 gears in the last truck and 3.42's in this one. I do not do the hard launch thing, or go to the track. I make long trips on interstate and love loosing the sucker fish that use me as a shield to speed behind. (With the help of a Nelson 93 Octane Tune) This does not mean I will not do a stop light dual.
I'll tell you this, unless you go to the track you will not hardly notice the difference between the two gear sets. The better gas mileage you will notice.
I have a nelson 93 octane tune coming soon. Can't wait, and will report here.
I went from 3.73's to 3.42's going from a 96 to a 97 Z71 and absolutely dreaded it. Back to 3.73's in an 02 and then to an 03 and now back to 3.42's in the 05. I just can't tell the difference. The added power and differences in the power band of the LS6 heads and flat top pistons provide, along with the new tuning and more cam and compression is doing a good job. I could not believe it when GM did away with the 3.73 option and now after 3k miles, I am not so excited or disturbed about it as I was at first. I can get off at a traffic light pretty good. I admit I would have opted for the 3.73's if available but do not dread buying this truck with the 3.42's as I did the in the 96 truck.

The Brakes! WoW! Nice, Nice, Nice! Larger (and twin piston) calipers and rotors up front and big drums on the rear. The largest drums on a 1/2 ton vehicle. Drum technology has not stagnated since the invention of disc brakes. It has continued to advance in performance and efficiency. You can't put 16" rims on the front due to the larger rotors and calipers.
Feather foot and progressive feel, and when rolling to a stop you have to let off the pedal or you will stop too soon. An amazing improvment. They have made the rear drums accually work well in proportion to the fronts. No more 15k mile pad changes, and the rear shoes lasting for 150k miles. Here Is A Link On the Brakes .

Other changes for 05. More gasketing around the head lights to keep mpg robbing air out of the engine compartment, as well as a 2" extension to the lower air dam and cups behind the tow hooks.
145 Amp Alternator.
Battery voltage and temp monitoring system that cuts the Alt off when not needed.
A tenth of a mpg here, a tenth there, it all adds up. A lighter motor helps also.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

holy crap, ls6 heads stock on a 5.3

Quick Reply: 2005 Gm Trucks?