Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Wants More Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nightrunner
i just hope he found a controller for that 6l80e that i dont know about (does one even exist yet?) so he doesnt have a big expensive paper weight...
I hear ya. Man im not trying to be a ******** at all. But.... Wow!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

me either but for 10k he could have someone else build him a forged 370 or 408 and swap to flt lvl3 80e and not ever have to worry about the motor and trans
Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

me either but for 10k he could have someone else build him a forged 370 or 408 and swap to flt lvl3 80e and not ever have to worry about the motor and trans
Thats what I was about to get at. But you beat me to it. I can conjure up quite a few 13 second and sub 13 second speed methods for WELL under 10K.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Thats what I was about to get at. But you beat me to it. I can conjure up quite a few 13 second and sub 13 second speed methods for WELL under 10K.
well look at dlh2006, runnin around a mid 12 with just a 6.0 swap, ca, boltons, then will probably hit mid-high elevens on n2o

just alot better possibilities to have a faster truck
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can appreciate your comments but the fact is I have a much more powerful 3100 lb car for go-fast duties. "Maybe hit mid-elevens on N20"? I can do that in my car for less than $500.
That is not the primary focus of this project. The $10k I spent was for a complete driveline so yes I do have a controller for the transmission. The purpose was to replace my 125k mile slipping 4L60E and 4.8L combo with something more powerful but just as reliable.
Besides the topic of the thread was what does it take to swap this particular combo into an 03.

Last edited by Wide Open; 04-12-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Maybe for another 10 large it will magically appear under the hood.

Put it in, see what happens.

Last edited by 99Silver6.0; 04-12-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open
That is not the primary focus of this project. The $10k I spent was for a complete driveline so yes I do have a controller for the transmission. The purpose was to replace my 125k mile slipping 4L60E and 4.8L combo with something more powerful but just as reliable.
Any updates to this?

On the tranny, does it have an external controller (at all?) as well as all the internal electronics? My understanding was it was mostly contained in the tranny...if so it must interface with the ECM obviously. Does it just plug in or...??

Is the engine controller an E38 by any chance??

Hot Rod was reporting that several places are working on standalone 6L80e controllers as its gonna be a hot item, no doubt about it. What I am wondering about is if the ECM and TCM can stand together as you have it or need the body control module as well?

You might have some fun setting that thing up, but its gonna be neat....look at the times that crew cab denali ran with that combo, your truck will be much lighter for sure, these NNBS's are a bit heavy.

I couldn't wait anymore so bought an 07 NNBS, but that six speed would be an awesome bolt in if I could make it work on my truck (oops...there goes the warranty!! ), so looking forward to see how you make out! Please keep us updated.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The tranny does have an external controller. It is located on the same bracket as the ECU in the left front corner of the engine bay and has its own plug-in. I have a picture of one attached so you can see what I am talking about. The ECM has several transmission references – Park/Neutral, brake, VSS, VSS High, and VSS Low, but no control. So far no BCM interface requirement.

The engine controller is indeed an E38. So far the only issue I don’t have figured out is adapting the cruise control in my truck to the DBW. My wife is saying forget the swap in the old truck and just swap it in a NNBS. I am a bit reluctant to go for the new truck because I am planning to buy a new Z06 in January. I don’t think I can do both. I will keep you updated.

Sorry, the original pictures were too large.
Attached Thumbnails 03 Wants More Power-ecu-indicated-small.jpg   03 Wants More Power-tcu-small.jpg  

Last edited by Wide Open; 04-22-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open
I have a picture of one attached so you can see what I am talking about. The ECM has several transmission references – Park/Neutral, brake, VSS, VSS High, and VSS Low, but no control. So far no BCM interface requirement.

I am a bit reluctant to go for the new truck because I am planning to buy a new Z06 in January. I don’t think I can do both. I will keep you updated.
I don't see a pic attached? Thanks for the info, hoping my 07 will be easy drop in (tranny or both) when the time comes....new Z06?...nice!!

Looking forward to updates. Maybe once you drop the other tranny out could compare them size wise, or any other info for the swap (same style driveshaft spline or does it have the bolt on 3 bolt flange I keep seeing in pics?)...stuff like that...

Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

well look at dlh2006, runnin around a mid 12 with just a 6.0 swap, ca, boltons, then will probably hit mid-high elevens on n2o

just alot better possibilities to have a faster truck
and his truck is fun to drive

Quick Reply: 03 Wants More Power