Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

what should be done for a '96 4L80E build

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldred95
Time to revisit this. I've got a yoke located for free at work. Its currently on an aluminum rear shaft out of a 08 1/2 ton 4wd. Its the nickle plated yoke with external clips for the 1310 or 1330 u joints, whichever my truck uses. I believe its the same exact one I got 3 years ago that I cut down to work on the 80E's current bolt on yoke style output shaft.

So now then is this the correct output shaft for my application?
4L80E Output Shaft 90 - 96 Slip in Yolk 2WD tail | eBay

This one says its a bolt on yoke output shaft but it appears to be the same and in better condition IE not rebushed.
GM 4L80E SHAFT OUTPUT 2WD USED BOLT ON YOKE 8 1/8 | eBay

With the 2wd slip yoke output shaft will I need to change tail housings? I would think yes but I'm not familiar with the 2wd 80Es outside of mine. Just don't see them much and the ones I have were all bolt on yoke 2 piece driveshaft trucks.

I think I found the kit I need on WIT. I believe its part number B34006EA. Is there any reason to replace the pistons? I read that there is a 34 as well as a 36 element sprag? Which one do I need to get?

I believe I found the correct output shaft on WIT. Part number U34678Q and I would think it would be new correct?

I think this is the extension housing from WIT. Part number U34770EA 6 5/8" long housing.

And lastly the internal wiring harness because mine is leaking at the connector. Part number 34446AK

Thanks for the help guys.
I like either of those yolks you posted because of the long spline design. Just make sure to ask that they have the lube hole in the bushing surface that you can see in one of those pictures in the link. Rebushed just means it has a fresh bushing in it and in most cases they need to be replaced when building the unit. So this is a plus if you order it.

The B34006EA kit will be fine to use. I'm pretty sure it will have the high energy frictions in it with the updated steels for the over run and 4th clutch housings. Turbulator design with holes.

As for the bonded pistons I like to change them depending on the mileage on the unit and how they feel. Keep in mind that if you have aluminum pistons in your current forward and direct drums you will need to update the cushion apply plates. With aluminum pistons you will most likely have dished plates and with steel bonded pistons you will have a waved plate.

On the sprag you will need the 34 element one. A34652A The 36 that you read about is a custom piece and its not what you have and the drum is expensive.

The U34678Q output shaft on their site I think the description is wrong. But I do think its the right part # you are looking for based on the WIT book I have here at the house. It should say W/O oring, slip on yoke and it says "With O-Ring, Slip-On Yoke". It will be a used part not new.

On the part # you have listed for the extension housing I think that's the right one. I would ask when you order it that it is to be used with the output shaft you have listed. I have one on my bench I could measure next week if needed.

As far as the internal wiring harness I would use the D34446AK because I believe it is a delco part and it appears to be less than the one you have listed. You might want to ask this when ordering as well.