Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo shift kit, 1st-2nd shift still too firm...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colby,
Yes, the accumulator uses the blue & orange spring. But the accumulator valve (in the valvebody) gives the option for a tiny white or tiny red spring, based on servo size. With a stock converter, vette servo, DX valve and 4.11 gears, the stock or red spring would be way to much.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Colby 04
are you still running a spring on top of and underneath the piston? I thought I remember the stock piston just having a spring underneath it, nothing between the seperator plate and the piston though.
Just underneath it, just like stock like you mentioned.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
Colby,
Yes, the accumulator uses the blue & orange spring. But the accumulator valve (in the valvebody) gives the option for a tiny white or tiny red spring, based on servo size. With a stock converter, vette servo, DX valve and 4.11 gears, the stock or red spring would be way to much.
I installed the red spring, as directed. Does the other spring that came with the kit offer a softer 1st-2nd shift?
I'd rather put a stall convertor in than drop that valve body again just to change one spring
Old 03-20-2006, 07:31 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be a stupid question, do you have a tune done on your truck? When you install the shift kit it raises line pressure and shift feel. If you have had it tuned you must put the trans pressure tables back to stock. With a stock tc yes you will feel the shifts more. Don't drop the valve body again to change the 1-2 acc valve spring. The lighter the spring the harder the shift. White is lighter with a harder shift. TRUST ME!!!! Are you sure that the acc valve sleeve was installed the same way it came out of the valve body. It can be installed upside down blocking the accumulation. Resulting in a hard shift. Good luck...
Old 03-20-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by da wrench
This might be a stupid question, do you have a tune done on your truck? When you install the shift kit it raises line pressure and shift feel. If you have had it tuned you must put the trans pressure tables back to stock. With a stock tc yes you will feel the shifts more. Don't drop the valve body again to change the 1-2 acc valve spring. The lighter the spring the harder the shift. White is lighter with a harder shift. TRUST ME!!!! Are you sure that the acc valve sleeve was installed the same way it came out of the valve body. It can be installed upside down blocking the accumulation. Resulting in a hard shift. Good luck...
there is a reason this shift kit took me about 12 hours to do, the main reason was because I read the directions for each step about 6 times before I performed the step. I'm not sure which part you are talking about, but there was one piston I pulled that had to be installed with a certain side up, that's the way I put it in.

I do have a performance tune on the truck, but after installing the shift kit I ran the stock PCM. I sent my tune off, had it updated with stock line pressure and now have it installed. It shifted just as firm with the stock tune. It shifts pretty good now with no washers in the accumulator
Old 03-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Lighter springs (white) will soften the rate at which the valve allows accumulation fluid exhaust. The accumulator valve is held in the MAX position by Torque Signal fluid and spring pressure. Orificed accumulator fluid will try and push the valve in the other direction, allowing for it become exhausted, softening the shift. A stiffer spring, or increase in Torque Signal fluid means the valve can't move as far, which lessens the amount of accumulator fluid exhausting, firming up the shift.

TransGo give you a white and red spring, depending on what servo you use. The 553 servo has less clamping force, so they tell you to use the red spring, to make it "feel" firmer. The 093 (Vette) servo has more clamping force, so they tell you to use the white spring, to make it feel as firm as the 553 w/ the red spring. They become "matched sets", making for consistant shifts w/ different setups.

So if you installed the RED spring and used the 093 (vette) servo, you used too stiff of a spring.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Lighter springs (white) will soften the rate at which the valve allows accumulation fluid exhaust. The accumulator valve is held in the MAX position by Torque Signal fluid and spring pressure. Orificed accumulator fluid will try and push the valve in the other direction, allowing for it become exhausted, softening the shift. A stiffer spring, or increase in Torque Signal fluid means the valve can't move as far, which lessens the amount of accumulator fluid exhausting, firming up the shift.

TransGo give you a white and red spring, depending on what servo you use. The 553 servo has less clamping force, so they tell you to use the red spring, to make it "feel" firmer. The 093 (Vette) servo has more clamping force, so they tell you to use the white spring, to make it feel as firm as the 553 w/ the red spring. They become "matched sets", making for consistant shifts w/ different setups.

So if you installed the RED spring and used the 093 (vette) servo, you used too stiff of a spring.
So what's the benefit of using the corvette servo with the transgo kit if your are getting the same force from the regular servo with a different spring

Also could you guys take a look at my other transgo thread and see if you can answer my other transgo shift kit questions please https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=361500
Old 03-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill tell you as my trans guy told me he can put the same stuff in two transmissions and one will slam your head against the dash board and the other will be close to stock. You just have to "tune" it to your app.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

so besides the shift being firmer than desired, any "ill" effects from using the red spring with the vette servo?
I didn't see any specs that told me to use the white spring with the vette servo - it could very well be that I wasn't aware the vette servo is the "093"...
Old 03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ill tell you as my trans guy told me he can put the same stuff in two transmissions and one will slam your head against the dash board and the other will be close to stock. You just have to "tune" it to your app.
I'm going to have Allen tune my 6.0, hopefully live or on the dyno. I'm going to see if he can address the shift issue, if needed.