Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo shift kit, 1st-2nd shift still too firm...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transgo shift kit, 1st-2nd shift still too firm...

I pulled one of the spacers/washers out of the 1st-2nd accumulator which makes it a total of 1 washer in the accumulator and it's still a pretty hard shift. It's a pretty good jolt at part throttle(~20-30% throttle) and at full throttle it still barks the tires. I can tell a little difference going from 2 washers down to 1, but not a whole lot. I had my tune updated with "stock" line pressure, or so I requested. How do I get the shift down to a firm, but not jolting, shift? Can the line pressure be brought down more? Do I need to make more adjustments, mechanically, on the accumulator?

Just cruising out of the neighborhood on 25mph streets it jolts you shifting to 2nd - that's at about 20-30% throttle(I think).

truck specs: 2004 4.8L, 4L60E, transgo HD2, vette servo(stock pin), 4.11 gears, 31" tires on 20's, wait4me tune, LS1 fans, vararam intake and exhaust.

On a side note, I pulled up after the test drive and came in the house, left it running so I could do a final check on the tranny fluid, came out a few minutes later and the temp guage was pegged, engine overheat dinging on the info center - my fuggin' fans didn't kick on
Old 03-18-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm running no washers in mine. I think it shifts just fine this way.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem when I put mine in. I actually ended up pulling out the one remaining washer and flipped the accumulator piston back over just like stock and made it much nicer. The other mods from the transgo make it a firm shift, but doing that change made it so I wasn't jarrred so much.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

so you pull the washers and the "spring seat", that way the spring sits directly down in the bottom of the accumulator?

I'm glad I installed that damn drain plug in the pan, the next round should be easier

....that's if I didn't hurt something overheating the engine
Old 03-18-2006, 09:16 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How large did you drill the second feed hole? This could be your problem.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by agreif
I had the same problem when I put mine in. I actually ended up pulling out the one remaining washer and flipped the accumulator piston back over just like stock and made it much nicer. The other mods from the transgo make it a firm shift, but doing that change made it so I wasn't jarrred so much.
so you aren't running any washers either? and you've flipped the piston back like it was stock?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by da wrench
How large did you drill the second feed hole? This could be your problem.
1st-2nd feed hole is drilled to the smaller spec - .082, I think it is. 2nd-3rd is drilled to .093, I think it is. I used the bits that came with the kit.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:05 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow i have the 1 washer and installed everything like they said and it shifts great from 1st to 2nd all though with a little more throttle it will bark second but just poking aroung it shift smooth and firm. not jaring at all.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 4.8T
wow i have the 1 washer and installed everything like they said and it shifts great from 1st to 2nd all though with a little more throttle it will bark second but just poking aroung it shift smooth and firm. not jaring at all.
do you have the vette servo? I doubt that's making this big of a difference though. Everything is installed as directed and I don't have any problems with it. It's just a little too rough from 1st-2nd, I don't mind it being a firm shift, but it's a little jarring at this point.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Launching!

Weight, tire size and gear ratio play a big factor in how shifts feel. The 4:11s in your combo greatly amplify shift feel, making them feel firmer, but then the large tires that your running I would think, should offset that some.
Also, assuming you have a stock torque converter, that will also make the shifts feel firmer, since it has less of a "dampening" effect as compared to a higher stall converter.
Knowing all of that, and assuming your truck has the original "DX" accumulator valve in the valvebody, 0.082" was a good choice, and I hope you put the WHITE spring in the accumulator valve (as opposed to the RED). I would also reccomend ZERO washers in the accumulator.

If its still too firm, perhaps the accumulator valve is stuck?

Quick Reply: Transgo shift kit, 1st-2nd shift still too firm...