Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transgo shift kit, 1st-2nd shift still too firm...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colby 04
so you aren't running any washers either? and you've flipped the piston back like it was stock?
You got it.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
Weight, tire size and gear ratio play a big factor in how shifts feel. The 4:11s in your combo greatly amplify shift feel, making them feel firmer, but then the large tires that your running I would think, should offset that some.
Also, assuming you have a stock torque converter, that will also make the shifts feel firmer, since it has less of a "dampening" effect as compared to a higher stall converter.
Knowing all of that, and assuming your truck has the original "DX" accumulator valve in the valvebody, 0.082" was a good choice, and I hope you put the WHITE spring in the accumulator valve (as opposed to the RED). I would also reccomend ZERO washers in the accumulator.

If its still too firm, perhaps the accumulator valve is stuck?
I have a stock converter.

I used the springs that the kit came with, orange and blue? don't remember the colors exactly. The piston seemed to moved freely. I'm going to drop the pan again to remove the final washer, that should allow the spring to seat about a 1/4-1/2" lower, making less initial tension on it. I'm pretty sure that should soften it up quite a bit, just judging from what one little 1/8" thick spacer did.

damn I should have just bought a case of tranny fluid
Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by agreif
You got it.
are you still running a spring on top of and underneath the piston? I thought I remember the stock piston just having a spring underneath it, nothing between the seperator plate and the piston though.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I put my shift kit in and now my truck wont even move.... this **** sucks
Old 03-19-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I put my shift kit in and now my truck wont even move.... this **** sucks
wha whaa?

drop the valve body, make sure your gaskets and seperator plate are lined up just right. Double check to make sure all your solenoids are plugged in before you put the pan back in. Good luck.

You gonna make it to the G2G???
Old 03-19-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did a transgo I used zero washers, the white spring, small feed hole, and I still had to go into the programming and lengthen 1-2 shift time a little to soften it up to where I could tolerate it.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:32 AM
12 Second Truck Club

i have 3:73's and a 3000 stall that may make a diffrence and shift pressures at stock you could lower your low torque pressures some that way just normal dfriving it wouldn't shift so hard but you would have that BAM at wot.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Just got everything buttoned back up and test drove it. I pulled the remaining washer from the accumulator and now the blue spring sits directly on the accumulator housing. I left the piston the way the transgo kit said to, flipped from the stock position.
It's much softer at part throttle and it no longer chirps the tires at WOT going into 2nd I'm going to drive it like this and see how I like it

If you ever drop the tranny pan, INSTALL A DRAIN PLUG!! It's so much easier dropping the pan with very little fluid in it
Old 03-19-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back in the day I had my 60 set up with a TransGo and no washers in the accumulator.

Also, save your fluid, no need to replace it if it's new. It's the detergents in trans fluid that wear out, new fluid should be good as long as it hasn't been burnt. Smell it.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

no man there's no way for me to get down there.... my bikes are both down right now too witn burrnt clutches.... everything was lined up perfectly when I went back together with it. I have been told that maybe one of the solenoids may have burned up... I am just fed up with this POS man... I have been under it for a week trying to get it ready for today and now there's no way for me to come out.. maybe next time.

Quick Reply: Transgo shift kit, 1st-2nd shift still too firm...