Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranny leak, How.What to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny leak, How.What to fix?

I guess my tailshaft seal or bushing is giving up the fight. I am wondering what I need to get part wise and how hard it will be to swap. Do I just drop the shaft, raise the tranny up off the brace, and remove the tailhousing? Will the seal be obvious and easy to swap? I posted some pics of the mess and the seals I have already. Tell me what you think. I've never been inside the trans other than a pan/fluid swap.
Thanks

Old 07-21-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles you have on your transmission? Do what you said plus you will have to remove the transmission mount to get two bolts on bottom the speed sensor has one screw and pulls right out. iI used a seal puller to get the seal out but If the bushing is messed up replace it. The bushing is behind the seal. I took it to a shop and the pressed a new bushing in for me they were closing so they gave it to me for free. I used a wood block and lite hammer blows to install the new seal had no tool. There is a metal boot inside just put that back on i think its to keep the fluid from going in the yoke. The bolts on tailshaft torque 30ftlbs.

Last edited by phasemaster1; 07-21-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:05 PM

Found the problem with the seal. It was pressed between the tranny housing and the tailshaft housing. It should have been stuffed inside the huge CRACK in the tailshaft housing.

Replaced the housing with the one from my stock/broke tranny. Everything is good to go

Old 07-23-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Dang that sucks, at least you got it fixed fast. haha

How does something like that happen.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:22 PM

I have 2 theories. One is it got cracked when I did the last engine swap during install and it took awhile to start leaking. 2nd- I came through an intersection that is "less than smooth" and was going faster than I usually would because the light was yellow. The truck hit the bottom of the dip and slammed pretty hard. I think the suspension bottomed out and I dont have the bump stops in because of my 2/4 drop. That could have cracked it as well. Either way it was my own fault. But it was easy to fix, just took a few hours.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 PM

Here we go again....

I parked on a steep angle (my driveway) for a couple of hours today and when I moved I had another tranny fluid stain. Looks like about a pint.
I crawled under the truck and saw a little bit right where the driveshaft slides into the tranny. I just replaced the entire tailshaft housing with a known good one with good seals. Could it be that I just over filled the tranny fluid and some came out because of the angle or even if I did over fill it should it not leak, ever? What seal is next in line since the 2 seals on the tailshaft didnt seem to fix it
Old 08-02-2006, 09:35 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Do you have a vented yoke? Is it possiable that you disrupted the sleeve/seal that is on the output shaft? Might be something to look at.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:46 AM

Not sure on the vented yoke. How do I tell?

So, tranny fluid should never leak out the back right? Even if over filled and parked vertical.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

The vented shaft has a small weep hole in it. I accidentally got one and it leaked like a sive. I just swapped out the yoke.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:24 AM

Is the vent on the end or is it a channel that runs the length of the yoke? I'm trying to figure out if I have to pull the driveshaft to see it. This is my stock driveshaft. I had it shortened and rebalanced for the pinion angle because of the 2/4 drop but other than that its never been messed with.

Quick Reply: Tranny leak, How.What to fix?