Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

torque converter install ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter install ?

I just ordered the Yank sc 3000 converter today , it will take about a week to be shipped . I have read in here that a good price to install it at a good shop is arund $450 . I have never removed a tranny before but I like to do things myself. I know everyone has had their first time, its it really complicated to install it ? Do I need special tools ? Or should I just pay a shop to do the work and just wait there to make they install the right one?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the place and the time just do it yourself! I can't offer any tips, I always paid to have it done
Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Where's the Beef?

VERY easy to do yourself. Check the stickies or do a search, there is a couple of very detailed Transmission Removal threads to help. IIRC there's one in the stickies by FLT
Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its really not bad at all, especially if your 2wd.... there are several threads on how to do like vicious said..... i definitely wouldnt pay someone to do it...
its basically remove and replace.....
the most important thing is just make sure you have the converter in all the way... when you install the trans there should be a gap between the flex plate and the converter (whoever you purchase it from will have a recommended clearence) if its to much clearance you may have to shim it with washers).... and when you tighten the converter bolts the converter should pull up to flex plate.... if you go to install it and the converter hits the flex plate and there is a gap between engine and bellhousing then STOP you do not have it in enough and must take it down and try to get the converter in more (should be 3 distinct CLUNKS into the trans as you spin it and easily push it on).... DO NOT TIGHTEN BELLHOUSING BOLTS TO PULL TRANS UP TO ENGINE...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

don't forget to fill the converter first
Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys , I will most likely try doing it myself , will also search on yank's webpage I think they have some install help in there , or call them if I need to.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Where's the Beef?

or check the stickies at the top of each section perhaps?

Edit: nevermind, It wasn't stickied for some reason. Will suggest having it added.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put 1 quart in the converter! fred is right!

15mm deep socket
13mm deep socket
6" 3/8" extension
3/8" ratchet
the longest 3/8" extension you can find to reach the top tranny bolt. also i did not reinstall that bolt bc its a pita!
air tools work best imo
get a socket/extension/ratchet to put on the crank bol to turn the motor to get to the converter bolts its faster than a flat head in the flywheel.
flat head screw driver
7/16" wrench to take the u-joint out from the rearend
get a gallon ziplock bag and tape it to the tailshaft housing to avoid a lot of fluid from spilling. use a transmission jack imo!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:57 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You won't get much more than 1/2 quart in that SC3000.

I'm with the other guys here, gain some experience and put it in yourself!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok It doesn't looks too hard in the time it gets here I will get the tools I need, the transmission jack I can loan it at my local parts store and maybe y will buy a compressor to make things easier with the $ I will save on getting it installed at a shop.

Quick Reply: torque converter install ?