Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

torque converter install ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need an air compressor but an air ratchet does help a little. You can manage with regular tools. You'll want several long extensions to help get to the bell housing bolts. I used enough extensions to turn the ratchet at the tail shaft.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was pretty hard the first time. I started feeling insecure about the install and pulled it all out again. The second time was a breeze. Its worth it just to know how to do it.

My transmission jack allowed me to tilt everything on two axis. That helped a lot in installation. You should get one of those. I think it was like $150 from Harbor Freight.

I was able to reach the very top bellhousing bolt with a wrench from above. Once they broke loose, you could spin them by hand. I used an extension for the next to top drivers side bolt and the rest were reachable with just a wratchet and socket.

Don't forget to remove the three torque converter bolts before trying to pull the tranny from the block. You do this by removing the starter and accessing them through the hole that the starter goes in. I put a good quality box exnd wrench on the bolt and tapped it with a hammer to loosen them. Just make sure your wrench stays square. This seems to be a problem for some but I didn't have any trouble.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have access to a shop with a vehicle lift and transmission jack that will make the job so much easier, if not then having a friend around with a extra set of hand helps alot. Some very good info from -iamkeniff- -fredkj3- -axekick- Good luck!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the converter today and the tru-cool 40k should be here Friday, i got a friend that is mechanic that will help me with the install, want to do it this weekend. I already did a lot of reseach I think it will come out fine. On the other hand I have been having some trouble with the belt sliping,I call procharger this morning and gave the part # for a shorter belt but I also noticed that the underdrive pulley is vibrating verry little (its the stock UDP). Shoul I replace it or just try the 1" shorter belt for now?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW thank you all for all the advice on the TC install.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Here's a quick hint, don't even try to unplug the neutral safety switch, the connector is glued in or something along those lines. I left mine plugged in, unbolted it, and let it hang

I used this tool for every bolt except the converter bolts and bellhousing bolts:

Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Here's a quick hint, don't even try to unplug the neutral safety switch, the connector is glued in or something along those lines. I left mine plugged in, unbolted it, and let it hang

I used this tool for every bolt except the converter bolts and bellhousing bolts:

Thanks , I also got a battery impact gun but from goodyear but the battery dies fast so I will ask a friend from a sound shop for his air tools,he don't need the on weekends.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Done
,just finish it today, I started last night with the tru-cool 40k and removing things, it was a little hard because I didn't call for get the air tools so had to do it with hand tools. Test drove -it and seems fine, can't wait for the 150 mile break in to really enjoy it and smoke the 28s. I feel good about doing it myself and would do it again if I have to.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 08cheyennesc
Done
,just finish it today, I started last night with the tru-cool 40k and removing things, it was a little hard because I didn't call for get the air tools so had to do it with hand tools. Test drove -it and seems fine, can't wait for the 150 mile break in to really enjoy it and smoke the 28s. I feel good about doing it myself and would do it again if I have to.
Cool deal, glad that you got er done! How do you like that converter, where does it flash to behind your setup?
Old 11-20-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just drove it normal for not it starts at 2k

Quick Reply: torque converter install ?