Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

tcc lockup issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tcc lockup issues

Ive got a cheap TCI streetfighter stalls around 2800.

The problem Im having is the lockup will not stay locked.

At 45 with it locked in 4th whenever I let off the throttle completely it unlocks, then if I mash the throttle again it takes about 2 secs. for it to lock. This is such a pain in the *** it keeps locking and unlocking.

Also it will unlock at low rpm, high load, like going up a hill when its not supposed too.

I thought it was pwm, it does cause some vibration and chatter when locked at low rpms but have tweaked the tables to no adue.

The tcc lockup mph table is stock but the shift tables have been tweaked upward.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have ya hit up jimmyblue on hptuner's forum? He knows that trans tuning inside and out!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:12 PM
High on diesel fumes

What does your minimum PWM duty cycle table look like? I set all my mins to 90% and it helped a lot.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
have ya hit up jimmyblue on hptuner's forum? He knows that trans tuning inside and out!
I saw where he sets the low table to 98, I did the same and it hasnt made a difference. I can manually lock it with vcm controls and it stays locked like it should?
Old 05-24-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully it doesn't turn out like this guys TCI TC. http://hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5398
Old 05-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Moderately Differentiated

he can lock it manually though. I had the same issues but it was a direct effect of me screwing with the lockup speeds. I got it all out of wack. I love my lock up speeds now. hmmm
Old 05-24-2006, 07:50 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i don't think it's any tuning issues. it's the damn converter. my first one the lockup clutch went out at 5k mi. on it. now when i was home in louisiana on leave, the same thing happened with the same amount of mileage on this one. luckily it started working again before i left.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:51 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

With stock tuninmg everytime you release the throttle, the TCC will unlock. Every truck does this.
A stock TC take less than 2 seconds to lock back up however. It might be a problem the clutch is actually slipping or the oil not evacuating quickly enough to allow the TCC to engage.

if you take your foot off the gas the TCC will unlock, you said you mash on the throttle. With most tuning mashing the throttle would delay a TCC engagement until a certain mph was met. Above 85 mph most TCCs are locked at WOT, under that they will not lock at WOT, unless told to by adjusting the tuning.

peace
Hog
Old 05-25-2006, 12:14 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hog
With stock tuninmg everytime you release the throttle, the TCC will unlock. Every truck does this.
A stock TC take less than 2 seconds to lock back up however. It might be a problem the clutch is actually slipping or the oil not evacuating quickly enough to allow the TCC to engage.

if you take your foot off the gas the TCC will unlock, you said you mash on the throttle. With most tuning mashing the throttle would delay a TCC engagement until a certain mph was met. Above 85 mph most TCCs are locked at WOT, under that they will not lock at WOT, unless told to by adjusting the tuning.

peace
Hog

The newer trucks will stay locked with 0% TPS.
If you can lock it and it locks it's not in the trans, its the tune. Could you post up a screen shot of your tcc apply/release tables? I bet it is in there.
And setting the min duty cycle to 98% should make a huge differents. You could also add more pressure with the forcing motor table but thats a bit harder to work out. I bet your problem is in the tcc apply/release tables.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
The newer trucks will stay locked with 0% TPS.
If you can lock it and it locks it's not in the trans, its the tune. Could you post up a screen shot of your tcc apply/release tables? I bet it is in there.
And setting the min duty cycle to 98% should make a huge differents. You could also add more pressure with the forcing motor table but thats a bit harder to work out. I bet your problem is in the tcc apply/release tables.
the force motor table has been adjusted when the tcc locks it feels like another shift

the tcc apply is stock

Quick Reply: tcc lockup issues