Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Stupid 4L60...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid 4L60...

Well a couple weeks ago when i went to go pick up my lq4 from the machine shop, i thought the 4l60 was laughing at me on the way home and this morning i was right. When i was at 10mph or under to stop, it would feel like something would disengage because all a sudden it would feel like neutral then engage again. Then when i went to take off i would have nothing with pedal movement then it would engage and id be moving. Its been doing that on and off for the past week or 2, and this morning it was doing it pretty bad with real soft shifts and slippage. so when i got close to the house i started to beating on it and it worked fine! So i took it around doing several full throttle runs from 20, it would shift great and firm and chirp second as usual and act fine for a few seconds after that then return to slipping and what not. Its lasted 9 months since it was built with sunshell, transgo hd2 shift kit, bands and what not. just sucks , does the problem while stopping and taking off sound like a converter?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that you have the trans go kit. Did you upgrade the forward and 1-2 plastic accumulator pistons? Almost sounds like one of them is cracked or you might have an issue with the forward clutch oil circuit. This would be an issue with worn stator bushings and leakage at the turbine shaft rings. Just a couple thoughts. Vince
Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Launching!

thanks, im not sure if these parts were upgraded because he asked me if i wanted the shift kit and i said sure. i have an appointment Thursday so ill have it checked out.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:05 PM

Your welcome. Its not a problem. Please update your thread so we know what happens! TIA Vince
Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Ill post it up when i find out. Last time he didnt show me the broke parts(stupid me), but this time im gonna tell him to keep everything he replaces. when you say turbine shaft rings are you referring to the converter?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 PM

No input shaft(turbine) to stator tube Teflon seals.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Launching!

well got the truck back today, only thing he found was the wide red band had a crack in it and he thought it was causing some binding issues, so went back with a borg warner high energy. No burnt clutches, changed 3-4 accumulator or regulator(idk what its called). Also went through the valve body and checked everything out. New wiring harness. Seems fine now but i still have a problem, when i manually shift down to third on the highway and go to put it back in fourth, it usually takes a few tries moving it from 3 to 4 to get it to go back into 4. Guess ill call him again monday....
Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Sounds like the cable is out of adjustment. All you need to do is get a scan tool on the truck and look at the data. Either the cable or prndl switch is out of adjustment if I had to guess. How does the shifter feel?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Launching!

The shifter feels tight. Ive wondered since the problem started if it was the shift cables. Or something with the shift kit, idk.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:18 AM

As I mentioned the prndl(neutral)switch can be an issue as well. Getting a scan tool with data will probably help pin this down quickly. I'm sure the shop can do this for you. Vince

Quick Reply: Stupid 4L60...