Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Silverado SS rear end swap...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Silverado SS rear end swap...

Will a silverado ss rearend swap into a non ss silverado? If so what is the best way to identify the ss rearend?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0
Will a silverado ss rearend swap into a non ss silverado? If so what is the best way to identify the ss rearend?
Simple answer is yes if will swap in with no problem. However if you obtain the rear axle from an AWD SS, there is really no reason for the swap unless your just looking for a rear with 4.10's and the crappy G80 as they came with the same 10-bolt as the rest of the 1/2 tons. Now if you’re wanting to swap in a rear from a 2WD SS, which is a 14-bolt, then by all means it is an upgrade. It can also be found in the Vortec Max trucks. As far as identification goes, when looking for these truck axles count the rear cover bolts. That is the simplistic answer. What your really looking for is a non-floater rear axle, which is easy to tell apart (floating from non-floating). There are quite a few threads here covering the swap, so if your unfamiliar with the different axles I would look through some of them and familiarize yourself with the different configurations before you go shopping.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
Simple answer is yes if will swap in with no problem. However if you obtain the rear axle from an AWD SS, there is really no reason for the swap unless your just looking for a rear with 4.10's and the crappy G80 as they came with the same 10-bolt as the rest of the 1/2 tons. Now if you’re wanting to swap in a rear from a 2WD SS, which is a 14-bolt, then by all means it is an upgrade. It can also be found in the Vortec Max trucks. As far as identification goes, when looking for these truck axles count the rear cover bolts. That is the simplistic answer. What your really looking for is a non-floater rear axle, which is easy to tell apart (floating from non-floating). There are quite a few threads here covering the swap, so if your unfamiliar with the different axles I would look through some of them and familiarize yourself with the different configurations before you go shopping.
Good info. I am looking for the 14 bolt version as I have blown up the 10 bolt I currently have twice. Only question is what's the difference between a floating and non floating rear? Kind of a newb with rear ends.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is one of the many good threads covering this subject. Even though the axle used in this swap was not a direct fit, it will give you an idea on what to keep an eye out for.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=441553
Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possible to switch to a 14 bolt on a awd ss instead of a 10 bolt
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWD = 10 bolt
2wd = 14 bolt
They are all pretty much interchagable in half ton trucks. The brakes are the only thing that would possibly be different. It's actually a pretty easy swap if the brakes are the same, but it is still easy having to swap brakes.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by brent1976
AWD = 10 bolt
2wd = 14 bolt
They are all pretty much interchagable in half ton trucks. The brakes are the only thing that would possibly be different. It's actually a pretty easy swap if the brakes are the same, but it is still easy having to swap brakes.
You forgot to mention that the U-joint and the Drive shaft's are different. The drive shaft on a 2WD is about 5/8 shorter with a 14 bolt then the same 2WD truck with a 10 bolt. The U-Joint is a 1350 on the 14 bolt while the 10 bolt uses a smaller 3RL U-Joint
Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The floating axles dont use the axle to carry any load and can be removed while still on the ground. A non/semi floating axle supports some of the load and can not be removed without taking of the wheel/brakes.

Thats the best way I can describe it.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good info in here.

What's fastest way to spot a AWD vs 2WD SSS?
Is there a button on L side near A/C vent like the 4WD has? Cause I'm tryin to get my hands on somethin right now.

Cause they share identical ride heights, correct?

Yet another reason I need to pickup a SSS.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Some good info in here.

What's fastest way to spot a AWD vs 2WD SSS?
Is there a button on L side near A/C vent like the 4WD has? Cause I'm tryin to get my hands on somethin right now.

Cause they share identical ride heights, correct?

Yet another reason I need to pickup a SSS.
AWD has Rear disc brakes 2WD had drum. AWD is full time NO buttons on dash like 4x4

Quick Reply: Silverado SS rear end swap...