Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Remote Mount Trans Cooler Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Mount Trans Cooler Issues

Hey whats up everyone. I'm just looking for some opinions because I seem to over complicate things. So I'm running this remote mount trans cooler (https://derale.com/products/fluid-co...ler-kit-detail) under the bed of my truck and I'm having issues with it controlling the heat. I accidentally hit 235 F the other day giving some friends a joy ride. The converter is a 3400-3600 triple disc in a extended cab pickup so it puts out some serious heat. This cooler is the only source of cooling for the transmission. I'm trying to decide if I should go back to using the factory tranny cooler thats in the radiator and then installing a 40K tru-cool behind the intercooler or if I should just step up to the bigger remote mount cooler offered by Derale. The one I have now is a 25 row stacked plate cooler with a 500 CFM fan rated a 46000 BTU's and the one I'm interested in is a 40 row stacked plate cooler with a 800 CFM fan rated at 67000 BTU's. I like having the remount mount cooler because it takes some of the heat away from the intercooler and because I have some nice braided AN lines ran along the bottom buttttt if going back to the factory cooler in the rad with the tru-cool up front will keep it cooler, then I may go back that route. So what do you think I should do? Thanks for your opinions guys!
Old 06-01-2018, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

I’d just put the factory radiator cooler back in the loop and send it. Also increasing the distance between the cooler and bed surface will definitely help as well.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

40k Bro, running built 4l60e with a large stall and on AZ in hot temps i see no more than 160ish and i dont drive nice.

Looks like to me there is a lot of heat under there with the exhaust right there and the lack of air flow it gets the hot engine before the cooler so that can cause an issue. I would eitheir bed mount that cooler or get a cooler up front like stock, but use the tru cool 40k
Old 06-02-2018, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I did a little test today. Drove the truck and got the temps to 195. While on the interstate with the converter locked, the cooler had no issues bringing the temps down to 183 and probably more. So I parked the truck in my driveway and left it in gear (like i was sitting at a stoplight) to see if the cooler could bring the temps down and the temps started climbing! It got to 203 just sitting in gear and yes the cooler fan was on . If i put it in park the cooler had no problem bringing the temps down, so obviously the cooler just can't keep up unless the converter is locked. Im thinking it looks like the better option is to run it back through the factory cooler in the radiator and then install the famous 40k behind the intercooler. It just sucks because the remote mount setup was so clean
Old 06-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Launching!

I would either try to mount it some where else, that exhaust gets hot, and that fan pulls that hot air into the cooler, doenst work. Plus it could be from the fact that the stock pump in the tranny isnt designed to push that much extra fluid from that far, and could be a flow issue with how far it has to travel to cool and then travel back. Now, where is your temp sensor located? Did you remove the stock in the radiator cooler too?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01SilveradoJakee
I would either try to mount it some where else, that exhaust gets hot, and that fan pulls that hot air into the cooler, doenst work. Plus it could be from the fact that the stock pump in the tranny isnt designed to push that much extra fluid from that far, and could be a flow issue with how far it has to travel to cool and then travel back. Now, where is your temp sensor located? Did you remove the stock in the radiator cooler too?
I don't know where the sensor is exactly, its just the factory read out on the dash so its wherever the stock sensor is. The factory trans cooler is still located in the radiator but I am not using it. The remote mount cooler is the only cooling source. I honestly don't think there is to much heat under the bed as its all pretty open. Its not really inclosed like a engine bay would be you know, and when driving down the road I'm sure there is plenty of airflow under it. I message Derale to see what they recommend as far as running these coolers as the main cooling source or if i should be running it with the factory trans cooler in the rad.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93
I don't know where the sensor is exactly, its just the factory read out on the dash so its wherever the stock sensor is. The factory trans cooler is still located in the radiator but I am not using it. The remote mount cooler is the only cooling source. I honestly don't think there is to much heat under the bed as its all pretty open. Its not really inclosed like a engine bay would be you know, and when driving down the road I'm sure there is plenty of airflow under it. I message Derale to see what they recommend as far as running these coolers as the main cooling source or if i should be running it with the factory trans cooler in the rad.
Did yours not have a aux cooler in the front?
Old 06-03-2018, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01SilveradoJakee
Did yours not have a aux cooler in the front?
It did from the factory .
Old 06-03-2018, 07:41 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had same problems, I had a 36k with 650cfm fan- under bed it would over heat fast... bypassed all oem coolers to.

I put in front of truck now- temps are more manageable -170-200

im considering re hooking up the oem radiator part- for more stable temps- it swings a lot
Old 06-03-2018, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
I had same problems, I had a 36k with 650cfm fan- under bed it would over heat fast... bypassed all oem coolers to.

I put in front of truck now- temps are more manageable -170-200

im considering re hooking up the oem radiator part- for more stable temps- it swings a lot
Yeah, some people say bypass the cooler in the radiator but I actually think the radiator helps cool the fluid off when its really hot and heat it up when its really cold. I think the fluid coming out of the converter has to be a good bit hotter than the coolant in the radiator. I mean look at most of the HD diesel trucks. They all use coolers in the radiator plus a auxiliary cooler. At least my F-250 does anyway. I'll be going back to using the factory cooler in the radiator in conjunction with the 40K.

Quick Reply: Remote Mount Trans Cooler Issues