Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Pulled junkyard 80e pan, should I be worried? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pulled junkyard 80e pan, should I be worried? (pics)

Picked up an 03 80e (85k) from an wrecked express van last week and got around to pulling the pan today. Fluid was a little dirty but not bad at all. I found three very small pieces of plastic and the two steel pieces in the picture below. The plastic wasn't even half the size of the steel.

The metal is also incredibly thin, no thicker than the wall of a soda can if that. My plan was to just install a new filter and throw it behind my boosted 5.3l. Can anyone tell me where these fragments may have come from and if I should be looking into a rebuild or not?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the springs from the over drive roller clutch. I personally would not install the unit until it was opened up.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Crap, not what I was looking to hear but kind of expected, never a good thing to find metal in the pan of anything. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah have it inspected first
Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with Vince. There simply aren't too many dainty components like those in the unit. The O/D roller clutch has a plastic bearing retainer so that leaves little doubt.

There will more components affected unfortunately... good luck with it man. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear. But it's good that you asked before installing it!

g
Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Looks like I'm going to be picking up a rebuild manual and tearing it apart. Fortunately the truck isn't my daily and the 60e is still holding on so...

Appreciate the quick responses guys.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03RCSB
Looks like I'm going to be picking up a rebuild manual and tearing it apart. Fortunately the truck isn't my daily and the 60e is still holding on so...

Appreciate the quick responses guys.
In that case, keep torque management pulling a ton of timing to keep your 60E alive
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Finally got the time to pull this trans apart and below is what I found.

Case looks good, no big gouges or anything, only thing that looks funky to me is this opening, is it broken or do they all look gnarly like this?

Different angle

Also this area down by the parking brake

for the internals themselves they all looked pretty clean, no grime or anything, except the overdrive planet teeth. A few def look broken

Wherever these pieces are, they arent in the trans, they werent in the pan and I didnt find them during the dis-assembly.

Aside from a new overdrive planet, would a basic rebuild kit do the trick? Or is it possible i'm missing some irreparable damage due to those pieces floating around?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you look at all the sprags???
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Launching!

I gave all the pieces a once over but its dark out and I probably should again in the daytime, this was the only apparent damage.

I did find a few bits of plastic which I guess confirms the posts above about the overdrive roller clutch

New to transmissions and have been lurking in your build thread as well as some others

Quick Reply: Pulled junkyard 80e pan, should I be worried? (pics)