Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Pulled junkyard 80e pan, should I be worried? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:46 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have two more coming by friday an 04 and 07 both vans and both had 4.8's in front of them , and that one was def from an 03 van still have the 6.0, harness, and ecm if that will help you figure things out . and that drum you need is that something you rather get new? I have all of the internals from that older 80 that i use the case for mock up
Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchellmade
i have two more coming by friday an 04 and 07 both vans and both had 4.8's in front of them , and that one was def from an 03 van still have the 6.0, harness, and ecm if that will help you figure things out . and that drum you need is that something you rather get new? I have all of the internals from that older 80 that i use the case for mock up
I'm not too worried about what year it is for the most part, the rebuild kit works for all of them. I got the matching OD roller and I'll see what intermediate sprag is in there when I pull it apart and just re-order the same one.

The hard parts aren't too expensive from what I've been able to research so far so I will just pick them up new. I've got it apart, might as well just build it once and be done with it.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03RCSB
Is replacing these parts just for peace of mind or are they likely to go out based on what happened to the OD clutch? Not questioning you, just for my own curiosity.

Also, the output shaft had a bolt on yoke, do I need to replace it or this current one will work fine with the slip yoke?
When looking at this picture it looks like the roller with the arrow pointing at it looks extremely worn. From seeing this I'm thinking that the inner race has to be damaged. I could be wrong but I would look at the outer race closely for wear or flat spots where the rollers ride. See pic below.

Normally when I see this I replace both pieces. If you think that they both look good then run them. In most cases you might be able to get away with just replacing the planet but I like to replace these kind of things as an assembly.

As for the output shaft I would not worry about that. I have run them this way and have never had an issue.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Launching!

^^ Fair enough and yup that roller is chewed up a bit. The pieces aren't that expensive so better safe than sorry. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Started assembling this thing and just pulled it apart again. This rear case bushing has been bothering me, I aligned the notches like the old one but the original did not have the grooves in the bushing. I assume they are for oiling, is this in the right way?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a TH400 case bushing you have there. It is wider than the factory bushing and its one I use all the time. I normally install the bushing the other way however you should be fine with the way you installed it. Keep in mind that the OE bushing didn't have the grooves and they work!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince B
Thats a TH400 case bushing you have there. It is wider than the factory bushing and its one I use all the time. I normally install the bushing the other way however you should be fine with the way you installed it. Keep in mind that the OE bushing didn't have the grooves and they work!
Thanks Vince! I could have swore I read on ls1tech that it was fine either way on the 80e but I could not find it for the life of me last night.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Launching!

I've got some hot spots on the direct hub. I was looking at new ones and being $10 I was just going to do that if it was the better route. On WIT Transmission though, they have three sizes listed for this part in reference to spline thickness. The measurements are all over 1", what exactly am I supposed to be measuring here?

Pic of the hot spots;
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Anyone? Spent the better part of the last two hours searching with no luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Give them a call tomorrow, i am sure they can recommend what you need.

Quick Reply: Pulled junkyard 80e pan, should I be worried? (pics)