Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Problem with Transmission 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Transmission 4L60E

Hello,
I come from GErmany and need your help. I drive a Chevrolet Express 1500 AWD 5.3 V8 FlexFuel, construction year 2011.

The van has inserted an automatic transmission 4L60E and this poses problems to me. The gear has alreads broken 3x. I pull with it also a heavy caravan.
The automatic transmission 4L80E should be better for heavy loads and also mor long-lasting.

Can I exchange the 4L60E gear in my Chevy against 4L80E? To buy a gear is no problem, but what must be adapted still? And is able somebody can say me where I get the Parts?

I am grateful for all tips.

Excuse me, the fact that my English is not perfect (in GErman I am able better) :-)

Best regards

Ronald
Old 11-07-2017, 09:42 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Welcome!

Yes you can most likely do the conversion and it is not terrible complicated. I have not seen many vans convert over, so the hardest thing for you may be the transmission crossmember modification since the 80e sits farther back.

The other things will be getting proper torque converter and flexplate for your engine, driveshaft length via shortening or shorter yoke, and electrical wiring. The electrical isnt too hard, see here https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...g-swap-413157/

Depending how mechanically inclined you are it may be easier to find a 2500 van?
Old 11-08-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need, a transmission, a 4l80e converter, 4l80e flexplate, and new front yoke for your driveshaft, and someone to modify your crossmember. I haven't tuned one that new but I know the segment swapping on the older computers is easy. Another option would be to locate a computer from a van which was originally equipped with a 4l80e.