Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Posi??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trutrac is awesome I've driven tdrumm's truck with a trutrac many times, actually had it for almost a week. Got to drive it in rain and dry weather, and I was totally impressed with it's operation. As GMCtrk mentioned, you don't even know it's there, totally quiet, and launches awesome. I must say that I've had great luck with my G80 though, it's only bound up on me once or twice, and has always locked up during burnouts I'm just not happy with the fact that my next burnout could be the G80's last lol.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:50 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Still rocking a G80 at 125,000 miles here also. Thankfully, it's still working perfectly, even at the track!!

I'm saving for an Eaton LSD. I've heard plenty good about both, but once the True-trac wears out, it has to be replaced. The Eaton LSD can be rebuilt. Oh, and I've heard over and over how the Auburn LSD (cone style) has always had problems holding up to horsepower.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright thanks guys for all the info about it, always heard of detroit making noisy LSDs so never really thought bout having one. i was thinking bout looking for a good used g80. but i guess ill just have to wait a lil longer and just get the true trac after i build the tranny. bc i know its def not gonna last
Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the eaton LSD with clutches. One of my best mods I've ever installed. I don't like worm gear type LSD's (I.E. Tru Trac or Zexel Torsen)
Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I'm running the eaton LSD with clutches. One of my best mods I've ever installed. I don't like worm gear type LSD's (I.E. Tru Trac or Zexel Torsen)
Please tell us what you dislike about the worm units?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like that they're a torque sensing rear. They need resistance on the right rear for the left rear to work. Example would be if your right rear were stuck down to the axle in sand and the left rear was on tar. The torsen diffs are useless as they need resistance on the right rear for the left rear to work. If you put the e-brake on then it'll go but what good is that? I'll keep my clutch type that's always engaged unless cornering.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I'll keep my clutch type that's always engaged unless cornering.
Ah! Point taken.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Each of the differentials has their place and can over-lap in their capabilities fairly well. Eaton lists the Tru-Trac with the best capabilities for road race type activities and they perform well in a straight line also. Like was already mentioned, they are a torque sensing type differential, so one area they perform poorly is in off-road situations where one wheel may leave the ground rendering the differential useless. The regular Eaton clutch type LSD is stronger in a straight line, especially when equipped with the 800# springs and works better in off-road situations, as a tire coming off the ground will not effect the action of the differential. It will however not act as seamless through corners as the Tru-Trac. For brutal traction and strength in drag racing and off-road conditions, the Detroit locker is the top dog. It's just not as user friendly on the street. It likes to pop going around corners and can spin you out in rainy conditions if you get into the throttle a little too hard. Off course there are several other options for differentials, but these are the ones most are interested in. On a side note, while they are totally mechanical in nature and it doesn't happen very regular, the Tru-Trac working off friction between the gears and housing can wear out the housing rendering the differential useless. When this happens, the only thing you can do is replace the carrier. On the other hand, when the clutches wear out in the regular LSD, you can just replace the clutch packs. They are totally rebuild-able.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havent been able to kill my poor Eaton LSD.. even with 31x12.5 boggers in the mud.. Sunk one side all the way to the bumper and the other side was still pulling. its bout 3 years old now and hasnt let me down yet..
Just put the Diff girdle cover on it and everything looks good inside. If it goes out, ill put new clutchs in it with the 800# springs.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supersub
Love my Tru-Trac!!!
nuff said!!!!

Quick Reply: Posi??