Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Popping from front left wheel/suspension while turning

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my right lower ball joint did that before it was relaced. it would pop when i would turn and hit a small bump........... also, check your cv joints like said above.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can feel the pop under your feet then you will need to swap the front body mounts. If you remove the front lower cup you will see nothing but rust. If you have access to a lift you will need to remove all body mount bolts from the left side of the vehicle from front to rear (leave all the right sides in) and use a screw jack to lift the body away from the frame to gain enough access to remove the upper mounts. You will need the bottom of the truck to be about shoulder high so that you have enough strength left in the screw portion of jack to lift without breaking. Once the body is lifted enough you can swap the front 2 body mounts that are behind the wheel. If you look at the stem part of the "mushroom" you will be able to tell a difference in the 2, the front one will have a gap between the bushing part and the 2nd one will be completely filled in around the stem. Since you already have the truck in the air I would go ahead and swap the right side as well. Just put all body mount bolts back in the left side then repeat for the right. If you have a cup attatched to the body on the left side you may need a pry bar and air hammer to flatten out to be able to remove front mount. The right side is the easiest of the two sides. If you have any questions you can PM me.
Dustin
Old 06-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99LoweredSierra
grease it really good on all the fittings there are like 4-6. Mine use to squeak awful and pop some. After it was greased really good it is fine now! So look into that. i know how annoying it is i went a year like this.
mine started this last week too...greased the zerks and all is good again.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Have an alignment shop check out your entire front end.
Possibilities: -Inner tie rods
-Outer tie rods
-Upper balljoint
-Lower balljoint
-Hub bearing assembly
-internal problem in rack & pinion
-C.V. shaft joints worn and have excessive play.
Hope you figure it out!

Jim
Old 06-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

My girlfriends 2005 VHO does this same thing. It has the torsion bar front suspension like a 4x4. Only has 18,xxx miles and has been doing it for a couple thousand miles. I'm having her take it back to the dealer since it is under warranty. I try to let everyone know what they find since this seems to be a common problem.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:09 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noise comes and goes....it has recently gone, hasn't done it for the past day or so. I'm sure it will come back....

Thanks for the ideas everyone, and VortecHOjunkie, keep me updated...
Old 06-19-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VortecHOjunkie
My girlfriends 2005 VHO does this same thing. It has the torsion bar front suspension like a 4x4. Only has 18,xxx miles and has been doing it for a couple thousand miles. I'm having her take it back to the dealer since it is under warranty. I try to let everyone know what they find since this seems to be a common problem.
I know exactly what yours is. That's the cross member issue GM has a TSB on.
There is a fix for the problem. I've had mine fixed. I too have an 05' VHO.
This is a common problem on the vehicles that have the torsion bar front suspension with a bolt in cross member that is attached where the torsion keys are.
That problem has been around a while.

Jim
Old 06-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

That is the most common noise, but only on 2wd versions with the bolt in crossmember. We have been taking coolant jugs and making shims for them. Make four appr. 2"x4" shims. Take only the left side bolts out and use a pry bar to pry crossmember out away from frame to slide shim in, one on each side behind crossmember between the frame. Take a hammer and drive bolts back through and tighten- overtightening will result in the bolt breaking- I usually use a 3/8 impact to tighten. Then repeat for the right side. Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dlrz71
That is the most common noise, but only on 2wd versions with the bolt in crossmember. We have been taking coolant jugs and making shims for them. Make four appr. 2"x4" shims. Take only the left side bolts out and use a pry bar to pry crossmember out away from frame to slide shim in, one on each side behind crossmember between the frame. Take a hammer and drive bolts back through and tighten- overtightening will result in the bolt breaking- I usually use a 3/8 impact to tighten. Then repeat for the right side. Hope this helps.
What crossmember? The Engine?