Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids
View Poll Results: What will keep my truck from bouncing on the highway
Its a truck its supposed to do that
12.50%
New shocks
79.17%
Air "helper" bags
8.33%
Bags and shocks
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: what would improve my ride on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the frame flexing, that really adds to the shitty ride these trucks have from the dealer

try a longer shackle, the factory one is too short and causes a huge spike in the springrate, after that i would go to another leaf pack, one with many thin leafs rather than a couple thick ones, you heard of deavers? they are an offroad pack designed with travel in mind but they ride nicer than the stock leafs
Old 08-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Are the highways your driving down torn up from semi's, like have a wash board effect?
I am driving on the concrete highway where it has 10 foot sections. It feels like a washboard though.

its the frame flexing, that really adds to the shitty ride these trucks have from the dealer
Ya i figured that just cant believe they would sell a truck and not back it when it has a problem like that.

I ordered Bilstein HD shocks and the updated GM rear cab mounts that were specified in the technical bulletin. I will post up how they work out and if it fixes the problem. It would be great to be able to take my kid in the truck again!!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you do anything, go buy 4 bags of sand or gravel and drop them in the bed over the axles. See if that solves your bouncing issues...cheaper than shocks! Those are cargo trucks, so thats why you get the "harmonic" bounce at highway speeds on roads with regular bumps. We do that sand thing up here in the North for winter traction...plus this way you can tell your wife how smart AND economical you are so now you can afford a blower!
PS: I have yet to speak with a dealer or dealer service guy who has ANY ****** clue what they sell or service!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mtrhd329
I am driving on the concrete highway where it has 10 foot sections. It feels like a washboard though.
The "Pierce Elevated" section of I-45 in Houston does this bad. If you look around every other car is doing it as well.

I've never seen stiffer shocks give a smoother ride.... Maybe you'll be the first.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Teching In

i run 4 bags of sand also. helps take the bouce out.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wife is only giving me one shot to fix the bouncing. What shocks should i go with?

...It has a block between the leafs and axle is that factory? ...

Anyone ever seen these before?

http://www.strutmasters.com/Chevy-Si...sil1500-cl.htm
So what happens if your 1 shot wife allowed doesn't fix the bounce. Do u have to sell your truck then?

Sorry, but I didn't watch those 2 vids. I can't believe I'm gonna get a 20% MPG improvement thru shocks. No way.
Some version of Bilsteins (HD or the other ones), Edelbrock IAS, QA1s, Rancho adjustables, Belltech Street and Performance are any of the ones I'd check out.

Been reading a lot about the "frame beaming" problems and the bilstein hd shocks didnt take out enough of the bounce. Not sure what else i can put in there to keep it from bouncing. I read a GM service bulletin about rear cab mounts being revised to address this but i dont see how a cab mount will keep it from bouncing the rear?
Originally Posted by KleenHall

try a longer shackle, the factory one is too short and causes a huge spike in the springrate, after that i would go to another leaf pack, one with many thin leafs rather than a couple thick ones, you heard of deavers? they are an offroad pack designed with travel in mind but they ride nicer than the stock leafs
A few things I wondered.
How many miles on your trk?
Are u original owner? I'm thinkin no.

RC or EC, long or short bed? You never said which, but those revised rear cab mounts lead me to believe you're EC. Also, a short bed will always ride worse than a long bed. Longer wheelbase helps. I also say an EC will ride smoother than a RC for same reason.

Even tho u ordered Bilstein HD's & the updated GM rear cab mounts that were specified in the technical bulletin. I'd like to know what fixed the issue. I'm guessing shocks, but if u put both on at same time, how will u know?

My truck hits the big bumps hard, lil bumps are firm. But if u see my sig, that TVS tells why. While I don't like the hard hits from big bumps, I can accept the small bounces for my return in handling. dhpro had a cheap idea, go buy 4 bags of sand or gravel & drop them in the bed over the axles. That said, when I put 420# of shingles on a pallet centered over axle, it rode smooth. Smoother than I thought a 4" drop out back could.
But adding weight (at least that much) to get a smoother ride has a negative affect on MPG.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Launching!

My vehicle is a ecsb. The section of highway to which i am referring i drive daily to work and i have made it a point to watch every type of vehicle i can find over the same patch of road and no other vehicle has their bed bouncing like mine does. That is what made me take it to both chevy and ford dealers. The Shocks were suggested here and on other forums to take out some of the bounce. The vehicle has 36K and apparently the crap shocks GM has been using are due to be replaced.

I have run with about 500 pounds of 14 bolt and other parts for my other truck in the bed and the ride was smooth like it was a different truck. I would like to find an actual solution to this as every few weeks i make a 500 mile trip and would like to not have an extra XXlbs affectin my mileage. I understand it will help but it if was the "the fix" when i went to GM they would have thrown bags of sand in there and charged me $200 for frame balancing!!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Launching!

I may have forgotten to add that i have driven this vehicle all over California and have only been able to get this bounce on two stretches of road down here in SoCal on the concrete highways because they are uneven. Every where else i drive the ride is fine and i LOVE my truck.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Compare your truck to another truck @ walmart r a buddys! See what's different in the rear!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

My vehicle is a ecsb. The section of highway to which i am referring i drive daily to work and i have made it a point to watch every type of vehicle i can find over the same patch of road and no other vehicle has their bed bouncing like mine does. That is what made me take it to both chevy and ford dealers. The Shocks were suggested here and on other forums to take out some of the bounce. The vehicle has 36K and apparently the crap shocks GM has been using are due to be replaced.

I have run with about 500 pounds of 14 bolt and other parts for my other truck in the bed and the ride was smooth like it was a different truck. I would like to find an actual solution to this as every few weeks i make a 500 mile trip and would like to not have an extra XXlbs affectin my mileage. I understand it will help but it if was the "the fix" when i went to GM they would have thrown bags of sand in there and charged me $200 for frame balancing!!
deCarbon's have been used for a while.
36k is not all that much on shocks. Mine would've lasted longer, but u can't ask a stock length shock to work on a 4" lower drop. Actually, my fronts are stock w/. 75k miles on em & a 2" drop there.

My bed is easy to see bounce cause all I have to do is look in the mirror. The tonneau being 1 piece & painted (which draws my eye to it as it shakes), makes it look like my bed is about to shake off. I just figured it was due to my drop, but then again I haven't been in anyone's truck w/. a cover.

I just meant to put some weight in to check it out, not as a permanent solution. Shocks are the more permanent solution. Til they wear out.

2 stretches of road vs all the others are fine? How long in miles are u on those 2 stretches? Why not avoid those 2 unless u have no better options? And yes, I understand u travel to work on 1 or both of these "bumpy" sections.

Quick Reply: POLL: what would improve my ride on the freeway