Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

please help regarding 4l80e. I have been royally screwed over

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the shops reason for not warranting their work?

Here's my take on this: You paid the shop good $ for a service. If they didn't give you what you agreed upon at the beginning, take them to court and get your $ back. If the guy wants to play hardball and not warranty his work and not take your calls, play hardball back. Simple as that. You shouldn't have to do research on where or how they F-ed up the trans. Unless you told the shop you were doing charity work by giving them money, then it should be easy to win.

After you get your money back, then look into WTH the trans shop did.

Best advice there would be to get a code reader to pull the trans codes, that should give you an indication of whats happening inside there. Theres some software called TTS Datamaster that can read the ODB1 codes w/a laptop. You'll need to source an ODB1 to USB cable though (or take it to Autozone to see if they have a code reader).

Installing a bad converter (or bad TCC, or bad TCC circuit) can in fact knock out 4th gear. What happens there is, if the converter is slipping the PCM will recognize it via RPMs in the input and output speed sensors in the trans. If the PCM notices slip it will disable 4th gear and throw a code 68. Ask me how I know... :-D

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 375 Likes on 256 Posts

I had a similar problem at one point, and it was due to that AFL valve mentioned earlier. When it went to shift to fourth it would actually shift back to first.