Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

My TC lock-up blows

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:15 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
so why would it unlock under cruise control? it didnt use to do this stuff under the same conditions is what im saying. and i saw my TCC lock points set at 47 mph, so why would it wait to lock after hold 65+for like 5 or 6 minutes?

edit: and if they unlock when you have no throttle, why do they stay locked until you break the unlock speed on the bottom end i.e. while stopping for a stop sign?
I've played around quit a bit with the lock-up of my 4l80. I could command the tcc to stay locked at 0% tp. but it would not, ever. I think it has to do with the drop of line pressure at 0% tp. (just a guess).
This maybe something that just the 4l80e does. I know my wifes truck "feels" like the tcc stays locked at 0% tp. But the tcc apliys soooo soft it is very hard to tell. plus she don't let me near her truck with my labtop.
How big is the dia. of your TC? maybe it needs more oil (line pressure) to operate, but I'm guessing there is another factor effecting your lock-up.
Do you have a scan tool that shows missfires? it don't take much to un-lock the conveter...
Old 09-01-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Do you have a scan tool that shows missfires? it don't take much to un-lock the conveter...

Is there a inexpensive scan tool that will show missfires that don't illuminate the SES light?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I've played around quit a bit with the lock-up of my 4l80. I could command the tcc to stay locked at 0% tp. but it would not, ever. I think it has to do with the drop of line pressure at 0% tp. (just a guess).
This maybe something that just the 4l80e does. I know my wifes truck "feels" like the tcc stays locked at 0% tp. But the tcc apliys soooo soft it is very hard to tell. plus she don't let me near her truck with my labtop.
How big is the dia. of your TC? maybe it needs more oil (line pressure) to operate, but I'm guessing there is another factor effecting your lock-up.
i have a 245mm converter. the transfluid is reading full and we didnt adjust any line pressures in the tune. im really shying against it being the tune because after some misc. changes it was working fine and then it spewed about a qt of fluid, i fixed it and replaced the fluid, and now it doesnt work fine. BTW, when i was having misfire, the truck would lock HARD and hold it unless i gave it enough throttle to promote a downshift, then it would unlock but other than that it would stick (while i was experiencing misfires a few weeks ago)
Old 09-02-2006, 04:08 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
i have a 245mm converter. the transfluid is reading full and we didnt adjust any line pressures in the tune. im really shying against it being the tune because after some misc. changes it was working fine and then it spewed about a qt of fluid, i fixed it and replaced the fluid, and now it doesnt work fine. BTW, when i was having misfire, the truck would lock HARD and hold it unless i gave it enough throttle to promote a downshift, then it would unlock but other than that it would stick (while i was experiencing misfires a few weeks ago)
That is strang, I didn't think that was posable, unless you tuned the misfire thresh hold up.

Here are a few good info links.

Number 1
Number 2
Misfire logic
Another misfire, tcc thread.

So does any of the threads I posted sound like your problem?
Old 09-02-2006, 09:08 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Had the same issue with a customers car - big cam was throwing misfires in the cruise rpm range in 4th and randomly locking and unlocking the converter during highway cruising. I raised and flattened the mid range tables (this was a pretty big cam, so it was causing a problem above the idle and low cells)and it got rid of the problem.
Originally Posted by CAT3
Depending on the cam, there may be the typical misfire issue, and also there was noted a need to increase (add 10 to each) the Max and Min MAP Values. Wicketmike, myself and others noticed this issue back a couple years ago after installing a now mild, TSP 231/237 112*LSA cam. The misfire tables were modified across the board in my case, and then once I added 10 to the Max/Min MAP I was able to reset the misfire table to show if there was a real problem. Those are the only two reasons I know of that will keep the TCC from Apply/Release after just a cam install. There are other issues, trans slip etc that will do it too, but usually those are encountered after installing a TC and the PCM needing to learn the slippage.
Default TCC lockup logic
Having a flakey lockup problem after converter
install. It appears to be PCM commanded. The
TCC Mode will say "Off" when I'm driving above
the lockup MPH for the TPS I'm at, and then
later on (still cruising) will finally say "--3--"
and then "Locked" and voila!, locks up. Other
times it will pop out of lock and back in abruptly,
and sometimes it works fine. I've been logging
misfires but they are dead quiet at the time.

What else plays into TCC lockup logic? Trans
temp is about 175F and I'm not on the brake.
Are there other terms, other fault conditions?
I never had it act this way with the other
converters, but it seems the beginning of it
is with the PCM?

^^i think that one sounds the most like me but this didnt start right after the converter install and no codes have been thrown about any misfire and it never unlocks and locks right back up either

wilde- thanks for your contiunued help man, i appreciate it. next time i meet with my tuner im gonna have him chedck my TC lock line pressures and raise if needed and check my misfire tolerance tables