Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

My TC lock-up blows

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My TC lock-up blows

alright so on my previosu tank of gas i had about 290 miles, 75% highway and 25% city. highway i was only locked up about 50% of the time because somethings fugged up in there. it holds lock up better going up a hill rather than going down, i know, weird. ANYWAYS im holding lock up between 1900 and 2300 rpm about 60-75mph, so im staying out of it right. and i try and hold unlock between 2300 and 2800rpm which is between about 60 and 70. so im getting gas and lo and behold, i get a measly 13.85MPG. can i get the worst gas mileage award? i get about 10.5 in the city but this is rediculous. i wasnt even going really fast. my stupid trans is killing me. but it wont stay locked, if im lucky, it will lock for like 5 minutes then be unlocked for the next 10.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows your tranny fluid level?

How does it look/smell?

Who is doing your tuning?

Did this start recently after a tune change or something or just out of the blue?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Whats the tranny temps when its acting up?????
Old 08-30-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Hows your tranny fluid level?

How does it look/smell?

Who is doing your tuning?

Did this start recently after a tune change or something or just out of the blue?
fluid level, fine

looks red, smells good, got some in my mouth accidentally, tastes like candy

charlie, vortec350 is doing my tuning. things going great.

it started after one late night charlie and i were driving around logging the VE table and all of a sudden he sees lots of smoke trailing me. we pull into a parking lot, praying for no fire. turns out i split a trans fluid hose (right before an inline fluid filter that i have since removed) and it sprayed probably 1 or 2 qts of fluid. smelled fine felt fine, temps werent bad at the time. after this, it has been acting all goofy. seems to be getting better VERY SLOWLY soon after that i could drive 12 miles at 55mph and it wouldnt touch lock up. now its very reluctant to lock until you hit at least 60mph. will hold lock up through uphill or accelration but will unlock if you break about 75mph, or start coasting down a hill without hitting the accelerator. another weird thing is that if you are at lock up and slow down to a stop sign or whatever, it will unlock like it supposed to at 35mph and then oddly enough it will lock up LIKE IT SHOULD at about 40mph (lower than it should actually) and it will hold lock through accel. until you meet one of the other factors that will unlock it. even if nothing out of the ordinary is going on, cruise control for example, flat land, after maybe 10 or 15 minutes it decides its done being locked up for a while. freakin weird if you ask me. it was throwing a code when it woudlnt lock up at all(a couple weeks ago) but then i went to charlie to get him to finalize the tune and after maybe 25 restarts, the code disabled and was gone from the history even in HPT.

sorry for all the load of information....

BTW, it acts up at all temps, 150-180 at highway speeds. if it hits lock up for a while on occasion the temps will drop to maybe 145-170 and if im maintaining speed unlocked it usually sits around 175ish because theres only about 400rpm difference usually.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I suggest taking it by your tuner and test drive it. Have him command TC lock up and see if it does it. Log it all and see when it unlocks.

I know in EFI Live there are a lot of different tables that tell the TC to lock and unlock. Maybe a setting in one of those tables got tweaked the wrong way last time. See if your tuner will burn you a copy of your .bin file and load it up for people to look at.
I was thinking air in your tranny lines but I would think that would cause it to run warm as well, which yours doesnt seem to be doing. You could run it in the driveway for awhile with the dipstick out and run it throught the gears a few times and maybe burp any air out if its in there.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 PM

i think ill try that, the air thing, im sure theres some air in the system and it runs pretty hot when its not highway speed so ill give that a go. im gonna go see him on friday or saturday night and hopefully get something worked out. i know he set something i think to 97%min 99% max but i know thats supposed to be good. firms up lock up or whatever i cant remember which table it is. other then that he didnt touch the transmission which is why i think its not in the tune. air could be the culprit though.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:03 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you are getting a missfire.
Does your tuner have the TCC unlock at a set tp?
It also could be a loose wire. I've ran into both problems first hand (missfire, and loose wire) I'm in the middle of swaping my TCC soloniod right now.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:45 PM

see i think its my solenoid personally. i jsut got my misfire issue taken care of...it was PRETTY bad but it wasnt throwing any codes for it but i cant definitly tell the difference and its not happening....i havent messed with anywires under there really at all, what wire could be loose causing that? i dunno where the TC lock tp was set at but under all these condition it was extremely light or no acceleration when it would unlock and im pretty sure he didnt touch this.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:46 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

light to no tps it will un-lock, they all do, Can't change that...
Old 09-01-2006, 07:01 AM

so why would it unlock under cruise control? it didnt use to do this stuff under the same conditions is what im saying. and i saw my TCC lock points set at 47 mph, so why would it wait to lock after hold 65+for like 5 or 6 minutes?

edit: and if they unlock when you have no throttle, why do they stay locked until you break the unlock speed on the bottom end i.e. while stopping for a stop sign?

Quick Reply: My TC lock-up blows