Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lifted Two-Wheel Drive Trucks? .....opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Lifted Two-Wheel Drive Trucks? .....opinions?

I was just wondering what you guys' opinions are on lifted two-wheel drives? In the past, all I have had are lifted z-71's, and now I have a RCSB '03 Silverado. To mine, and everybody elses surprise, I've had it almost 1 year now, and the only thing I have done to it, is tint the windows...now, I feel mod fever starting to grab hold of me a bit, so I think it's time to do SOMETHING to this thing, so it's not so boring. I've been looking on other websites, and was in California a couple months ago, and the number of lifted 2-wheelers is rediculous..but, I thikn they look AWESOME, when done right..anyone else agree?

I've been tossing this idea around, tell me what you think about it? The truck is white with limo tinted windows, and it has the Body-colored side moulding (LS package)...I thought about color-matching the front bumper pads, the mirrors (using the Truck mirrors with the chrome on the back of them) Escalade handles, billet grille and a 7" fab-tech suspension lift with a 3" body and, if I can squeeze them under, some 35-36" tires with a 17 or 18" wheel on them? As you can tell, a couple things are still kinda vague, as I am not 100% sure what I want to do, and am looking for a little direction here.

Thanks In Advance,

Jason
Old 04-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Some people may disagree, but I see absolutely no point in lifitng a 2wd truck. In my mind, its kind of like putting an exhaust on a civic . . . it may sound loud, but its still a four banger. With a 2wd truck, I would go the other route and throw on some 20's with a slight drop. You also can't go wrong with some basic performance mods such as a cat back or air intake.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Really if you think about it, its ok. With 4wheel you gotta worry about Cv shaft angles and all that momobo jumbo..
Old 04-03-2005, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Keeping in mind, I'm not off-roading it..I just like the lifted trucks in general..
Old 04-03-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be alright with the "desert runner" style.

Maybe some 285s or maybe a little bigger. But I would probably 4/6 it.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't mind lowering it...as I think it would look pretty sick...and, I'm a big fan of twisties, and handling..as all of my cars have always been big time roll-race cars due to such stiff suspension...but, I can't get out of my head that lowering and putting large wheels on is kinda "ghetto"?....not knocking anybody who does it...but it's never been my thing
Old 04-03-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Pre-runners are popular out here in CA. In the desert you don't need 4x4 and you can get ALOT more suspension travel with 2 wheel drive. My friend has a white 2005 ext cab 2wd with a CST 7inch lift in front with 3 inch springs in back, It looks sooo Awesome. IMO 2wd trucks look better than 4x4's lifted becasue there is much more ground clearance in front.

Slow- You should leave out the body lift and and stick with 35's so you can use all of your suspension travel.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Teching In

With the 7" lift you should be able to fit 35s and the body lift should be left out once you are that high.

I was considering doing that same lift, but have decided to go a little shorter and ride on 33s instead. My last ride was 4WD and I didn't use the 4WD that often.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chevy fan
Some people may disagree, but I see absolutely no point in lifitng a 2wd truck. In my mind, its kind of like putting an exhaust on a civic . . . it may sound loud, but its still a four banger. With a 2wd truck, I would go the other route and throw on some 20's with a slight drop. You also can't go wrong with some basic performance mods such as a cat back or air intake.
There is an entire class of off road racing dedicated to 2wd trucks. You can't slide and have as much fun in 4wd. Also the 4 wheel drive ATVs really suck for racing, there heavy and slow! I have 4wd for basically two reasons, traction in winter and traction for off the line acceleration on slippery dry pavement...too much power does that to your grip.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevy fan
Increased ground clearance is a HUGE benefit of lifting any truck. Here in Houston, we have flash floods. My lifted '02 GMC could plow right thru the highest of water and never get stuck. Try that in a lowered truck. I could also drive over alot more obstacles, and thru ditches, over curbs, etc.... much easier.

At the beach, even my 2wd went thru the sand better with the larger, wider tires.

I probably went offroad more in that 2wd truck than most guys do in their 4x4 trucks.

Quick Reply: Lifted Two-Wheel Drive Trucks? .....opinions?