Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Let's talk brakes !

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk brakes !

To make a short story , after a 3 hours ride today I found out that a rear caliper is seized ! So I'm looking at upgrading the brake ! I've look around a bit, the 2005 + front brake are bigger and rear tahoe 2 piston caliper are also bigger !

My question : 1- does the 05+ has bigger caliper or is it just bigger brackets and rotor ?
2- will it upset the Front/Rear distribution going with these brakes ?
3- anyone as installed SSBC big rotor and braket kit ?
4- Am I missing something ?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

both of my trucks had the 14" ssbc setups with SSS/tahoe calipers in rear and 2008+ calipers up front

the newer calipers are larger and require the new caliper bracket

the combo of front and rear 14" brakes with hot pads stop very well for me towing or from high speeds
Old 09-02-2015, 05:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the newer fronts. They have to be newer than '05. I found some cheap barely used '12 calipers when i did mine. Use NNBS brakes. For rotors and pads I bought the Powerstop boxed set for a NNBS, randomly picked '10 Silvy off the top of my head, when I ordered them. Everything bolts up perfect and works great together.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply! So if I put 08+ caliper up front they will be drop in on the ssbc braket ? or the front 08+ caliper and braket are compatible with the big rotor from ssbc ?
Old 09-02-2015, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Alco
Thanks for the reply! So if I put 08+ caliper up front they will be drop in on the ssbc braket ? or the front 08+ caliper and braket are compatible with the big rotor from ssbc ?
I hope I haven't been misunderstanding the question. I didn't need a big brake kit or brackets.
The 08+ calipers are bigger and already have the correct bracket. The whole setup will take you from OEM 12" brakes to 13" brakes. I used upgrade rotors and pads sized for those calipers. They arent 14" but 13" is still and inch over the original set, you'll feel and see the difference. And for waaayyyy less money than SSBC.

Last edited by mikeyjm1; 09-02-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikeyjm1
I hope I haven't been misunderstanding the question. I didn't need a big brake kit or brackets.
The 08+ calipers are bigger and already have the correct bracket. The whole setup will take you from OEM 12" brakes to 13" brakes. I used upgrade rotors and pads sized for those calipers. They arent 14" but 13" is still and inch over the original set, you'll feel and see the difference. And for waaayyyy less money than SSBC.
Sorry for my bad english ! I actually like the idea of running bigger stock brake ( less expensive parts) ! So getting front and rear 08+ will fit my 02 rcsb ? Is the rear 1 or 2 piston caliper ? I really wan't 2 piston caliper !
Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Now what I told you works for the front. GM didn't go bigger on the back. I believe they all stayed 12"ish. I know mine being an Avalanche, already had the 2 piston rears. I just put the same band/style pad and rotor on it. You may want to see if its just a mater of swapping calipers on yours. Many manufatures use the same bolt spacing on many vehicles calipers. My old Sentra SER, I swapped to 300Z calipers on the front and Maxima/Sentra/Altima Frankenstien rears and a CRX years ago I had Integra brake and suspension parts all over it.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Anyone know if the 08+ fronts will clear 17's ? Is there a significant improvement going to the 08+ fronts if you already have the 05-07 brakes?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

the 05 and nnbs are the same.

And I still think stock brakes crap. I want to get the 16" Wilwoods.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Upgraded from the single piston skinny rotor rears on my 99 to the tahoe/suburban rears all i had to do was trim the backing plate to clear the larger caliper brackets. As far as the rear rotors there are 3 different ones (including the skinny single piston)the ones you want for the dual piston is something like 330mm and 329.8mm diameters,i think it was. Both fit the calipers, one is tahoe, other is suburban, part number on pads was same but either rotor will work... And as far as front brakes its 05-up front disc/rear drum setup that has the larger rotors, calipers and pads, same rotor but after 07 they put a torx head bolt in to hold the rotors to the bearing! i havent seen one if the bolts on the 05-07 classic yet... That or just didnt pay attention to it if i did!! I know napa used to sell a cross drilled/slotted rotor they called their severe duty line, not sure if they still have em or not but they were actually less expensive than the regular rotors...

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 09-02-2015 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Quick Reply: Let's talk brakes !