Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Just got a 2/4 drop on my ECSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing is wrong with Belltech. They sell very high quality pieces. As for the McGaughys stuff, the kit is correct. The spindles are 2" drop, the leafs are 2", and the shackles are adjustable 1-2". This is what is on my crew cab. I believe the new leafs have a higher spring rate. There is no overload spring and i can still haul as much as before.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have mcgaughys kit on my truck and am very pleased. I had NO fitment issues what so ever. They don't rub, I didn't loose any turning radius.....matter of fact, if you put them next to the GM spindles they look identical with the exception of the bearing hole being further up on the spindle. Maybe that has something to do with Mcgaughys winning an award at SEMA from GM for their spindles

I have used belltech spindles in the past with great success (79 chevy truck) but I think Mcgaughys has them beat with the NBS trucks.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guys over at SilveradoSS.com seem to favor the Belltech's over the McGaughy's...I think a few of them have had problems with the McG's. Haven't heard too much negative about them over here though. I've seen side by side comparison pics, and both seem very similar, except the Belltech's look slightly more refined.

Here's some links:
http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...howtopic=22409
http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...opic=14852&hl=
http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...opic=19199&hl=
Old 06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

The fitment issues are directed at the 04 & up SS, VHO, & Vortech Maxx trucks.
It actually shouldn't effect the other 1500 series trucks.
Yes, I did do a lot of research at www.silveradoss.com as well on the lowering kits.

Jim
Old 06-09-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I just added one of those little metal coil spacers/locks from Autozone. It stopped the rubbing and the chevy lean seems to be gone in the front. It looks good and turns like normal, so I really don't have any more complaints. Thanks for all your advice guys. I may try what Eye-P said when I drop it another inch (after smaller tires).
Old 06-09-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
The fitment issues are directed at the 04 & up SS, VHO, & Vortech Maxx trucks.
It actually shouldn't effect the other 1500 series trucks.
Yes, I did do a lot of research at www.silveradoss.com as well on the lowering kits.

Jim
Please explain, I'm here to learn
Old 06-09-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by budhayes3
The guys over at SilveradoSS.com seem to favor the Belltech's over the McGaughy's...I think a few of them have had problems with the McG's. Haven't heard too much negative about them over here though. I've seen side by side comparison pics, and both seem very similar, except the Belltech's look slightly more refined.

Here's some links:
http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...howtopic=22409
http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...opic=14852&hl=
http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...opic=19199&hl=
If your deciding factor is how pretty a spindle is (that will never see after installation) and a threaded hole for the brake line clasp, then by all means go for the belltechs. you will pay more and get no more function.

The mcgaughys kit I got was great. The machining was precise, the powder coated rear components were flawless. The packaging was excellent. As far as how rough the casting was......it wasn't perfectly smooth but then again it is a CAST piece and you will never see it behind the rotor anyway.

And to comment on the lower hole in the spindle. There is just as much 'meat' on the mcgaughys as the factory spindle, so I would think it would be just as strong. I have yet to hear of anyone breaking a mcgaughys spindle on the lower ball joint.

As was mentioned......the front suspension setup differs greatly between the vho/ss/tahoe's than the 1500 pickups. I have yet to hear of anyone with a mcgaughys setup on a conventional coil spring front end that was not satisfied. Just some input from a VERY SATISFIED mcgaughys customer!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Colby 04
Please explain, I'm here to learn
all of the above mentioned trucks use a torsion bar front suspension. The torsion bar replaces the conventional coil sping setup. If you look under one you will notice they lack the coil springs. Insted the torsion bars run towards the rear of the vehicle and tie into a crossmember. They 'twist' to provide the spring action on the front end. While the spindles remain the same on the 2 setups I think that is the extent of the similarities....possibly the upper control arms as well. The lower control arm and all of the steering components are different.

My 02 pickup uses a rack/pinion steering system while my torsion bar setup on the tahoe uses the old setup with a pitman arm, inner/outer tie rod ends, etc. Basically the same setup GM has been using for years. Nothing wrong with the setup on torsion bar front ends, it is just different than the coil spring front ends. I think the torsion bar setup actually rides smoother, but the rack/pinion setup yields better steering response and overall fell of the road.

Hope this helps answer your questions about the differences.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Uh. Calling you on that one. Im running 285/50's with a 2/4. To all the naysayers... They are perfectly fine.
Your a reg cab though. No way in hell I could get the huge tire on mine.