Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Issues after manual swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after manual swap.

Hello I recently swapped an nv3500 into my 06 behind my ly6 and am having some issues. First is starting the truck.
It took a while to figure out but I ended up being able to jump some wires on the auto trans harness to get the Starter to engage. But the problem was that it would only spin for half a second or so. I need the starter to spin longer than normal due to the trg-002 that I’m running for the gen 4 engine. I never had an issue with how long the starter spun prior. Anyone know which wires in the trans harness need powered/grounded to allow for normal starting?

I ran a momentary switch to temporarily start it and it just basically runs power to the starter relay when pushed but sometimes all it will do is click once Per push even with a battery at full charge. I have to push on and off multiple times and sometimes it’ll engage the starter. So I feel maybe the starter isn’t compatible with the flywheel or maybe the starter is going out? (5.3 starter and nfw1050)

I feel some of this has to do with the tune as well. I got a mail order tune and told the tuner that I swapped the manual into it and I feel like I shouldn’t be having these issues. Maybe I need a segment swap done instead of just the codes deleted? I added a pin to the ecm for a clutch safety switch and when it gets power, it does nothing.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Not sure if or what what wires may need to be jumped. I can send you a tune file for a factory NV3500 truck if you want to compare things to what your tooner did. That flywheel should be correct but the starter might be going out. Pull the starter and bench test it on the ground to see if its good or not.

How long are the TRG-002 supposed to take to start?
Old 07-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Teching In

It needs almost 2 seconds to get the proper Crank signal to fire. I’ll have to test the starter. But I don’t have hp tuners but I’m at the point where I want to learn how to use it and make all adjustments on my own. I would have to find another ecm because the tuner I used locks the tune apparently.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Wow that tooner sounds like a POS. HP tuners is great it takes some serious dedication and patience to learn how to use it but it works great. If the starter checks good and your positive its a wiring issue I might be able to do some wire digging to see how mine is done. The 6.0 and stick combo is a lot of fun I hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:07 PM
Teching In

It’s one of the major tuners that I used. All mail order. This last time it took almost a month for him to send it out to me, poor communication etc. It’s not a dd so I’m not too worried about it but it’s weird the starter won’t spin long enough using the key. It spin only two revolutions then stop. Using the momentary switch, it’ll spin as long as I hold it down once it actually catches (to the point where I can grind the starter if I hold it down too long).
Old 07-16-2020, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Talk to atomic here on the boards, he helped me with my 6.0/t56 setup but I'm running a gen3 motor too. but he should be able to help a bit.