Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Inside a Yank TT2600 (Many pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inside a Yank TT2600 (Many pics)

Hello Fellas

It's been a long time since I've posted here.
I basically just got my truck to a fun level and left it alone for a few years.

103,000 miles on it now, and the trans finally decided it wanted a rebuild.
At about 30K I put in a vette servo and HD2 kit and it's been performing well until last week. It started slipping on the highway and less than 15 miles later, it would barely move. We have it torn down now and are putting all of the basic internal upgrades.

I had my TT2600 cut open at a local converter shop to check it out and hopefully just do a cut/clean and then install it again. I believe that I have about 60k on the converter.
When they got it open, the clutch lining was completely gone.
I will be getting a fresh converter to replace this.

This converter worked well for me until it died. I have towed and hauled tons of firewood, snowmobiles, boats, cars, etc over the years. Been down the track several times.
This converter has also been through several WOT lock ups in 3rd gear before I changed the tuning.

The owner of the converter shop says that it looks a lot like a stock converter inside.
I am not qualified to analyze whether the parts are stock or not, but wanted to share the pics with you guys and just see what you think of it.
I do see that one half of this thing is not brazed and am wondering why.

Name:  P6110122.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  P6110124.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  97.1 KB

Name:  P6110131.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  P6110132.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  P6110133.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  P6110135.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  P6110136.jpg
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  P6110138.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  P6110139.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  P6110140.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  P6110141.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  P6110142.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  P6110144.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  P6110145.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  P6110148.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  P6110149.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  P6110150.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  29.1 KB
Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddoo
Hello Fellas

It's been a long time since I've posted here.
I basically just got my truck to a fun level and left it alone for a few years.

103,000 miles on it now, and the trans finally decided it wanted a rebuild.
At about 30K I put in a vette servo and HD2 kit and it's been performing well until last week. It started slipping on the highway and less than 15 miles later, it would barely move. We have it torn down now and are putting all of the basic internal upgrades.

I had my TT2600 cut open at a local converter shop to check it out and hopefully just do a cut/clean and then install it again. I believe that I have about 60k on the converter.
When they got it open, the clutch lining was completely gone.
I will be getting a fresh converter to replace this.

This converter worked well for me until it died. I have towed and hauled tons of firewood, snowmobiles, boats, cars, etc over the years. Been down the track several times.
This converter has also been through several WOT lock ups in 3rd gear before I changed the tuning.

The owner of the converter shop says that it looks a lot like a stock converter inside.
I am not qualified to analyze whether the parts are stock or not, but wanted to share the pics with you guys and just see what you think of it.
I do see that one half of this thing is not brazed and am wondering why.
Not to many people on here are qualified to answer modified internal converter questions.

But it at least we know what may have helped in its short life. (See Above highlighted area)

How many Filter/Fluid changes have you done???

Do you have an External trans cooler???
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Not to many people on here are qualified to answer modified internal converter questions.

But it at least we know what may have helped in its short life. (See Above highlighted area)

How many Filter/Fluid changes have you done???

Do you have an External trans cooler???
No complaints on the failure.
This thing served me well.
I understand that I abused it and it had to fail eventually.
60K miles of abuse with a little more than stock power is totally acceptable to me.
It was time to refresh this trans anyway.

It's had fluid changes 4 times.

The truck has the stock cooler setup, and I watch temps while towing. Doesn't usually get past 200. Pulling locked on the highway she stays cool.

I just wanted to share the pics because these Yank TT converters are popular, and it seems that nobody really knows what's inside.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the EXACT same converter and I'd like to think i have slightly more than a little over stock hp numbers. Mine has seen only about 20k miles of use but probably close to 50 passes down the track and still seems to be holding up well. I do have a large trans cooler and have changed my fluid 3 times since it was installed.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

No complaints on the failure.
This thing served me well.
I understand that I abused it and it had to fail eventually.
60K miles of abuse with a little more than stock power is totally acceptable to me.
It was time to refresh this trans anyway.

It's had fluid changes 4 times.

The truck has the stock cooler setup, and I watch temps while towing. Doesn't usually get past 200. Pulling locked on the highway she stays cool.

I just wanted to share the pics because these Yank TT converters are popular, and it seems that nobody really knows what's inside.
Just curios, You say fluid change. What about the filter???

True about whats inside. Its like VOODO to the average guy. I know these things are not cheap either. So it is nice to see what exactally your paying for. Unfortunately most people would not know the difference.

Any chance your guy could cut a stock one open so we could see the difference??? I know these are supposed to be more efficient.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being a TT2600 i would think he would have held up to what you call abuse, but thats my opinion unless the converter is a 9.5 ? or is it the same diameter as stock?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This is our lowest price entry level converter at $475.00, the turbine is not brazed as in our our highter priced converters.

As a Note: large dia. turbines have a high rate of warpare during the brazing process due to the thin material the factory uses, warped turbine loose performance.

The clutch is not designed to lock up under load or WOT as the clutch lining is a wear material as the OEM tuning must allow for smooth engagement and release.

The time 6 years and your usage and conditions is very good, but you might look at an upgrade to a true performance converter with a billet cover and clutch assembly.

Thanks for the update on our product performance.
Yank
Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I am not an expert by any means. But he did say he had WOT lock ups in 3rd gear and towed a bunch of heavy stuff. That kind of stuff can be hard on a converter. If the trans was failing as well, that could have aided in it's demise.

The reason I ask about maintenance is because the filter start to clog and become restricted. You won't notice it until its to late. Once the filter loses its ability to properly filter contaminates the finer contaminates start getting by the filter.

By pulling the pan and changing the filter, you can see if you have excessive build up in the pan. If it starts looking bad you can get into before it becomes catastrophic.

When we modify what the transmission was originally designed to handle then we need to modify our maintenance plan to help protect it. A stall converter is essentially slipping until it becomes fully engaged. As you raise the amount it slips and increase the power and now you start needing to do the maintenance more often.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Interesting to see inside it non the less.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For comparison's sake, here's a billet lockup clutch/piston for a PT3200 single disc. The PT or SC series of Yank are worth the extra coin. More clutch surface area, and alot stronger internals.

Name:  fbd6f7a5.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  118.2 KB

Quick Reply: Inside a Yank TT2600 (Many pics)