Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I got Fking nervous last night...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I got Fking nervous last night...

I exited off the interstate last night and heard a sound like dragging brakes... well, it got worse and worse within a few blocks... by the time I pulled off into the parking lot where I was headed the truck acted like the rearend had broken and had locked up... so I looked under just to give it a visual, no leaks, no fluids... but it acted just like a hung up brake and a broken rear all in one... it popped and raised all kinds of hell... I put it in reverse, everything acted just like normal... drive was F-d up...

I had thoughts running through my head of having to call Vince and Chuck back and tell them I broke their baby again... but I wanted to check out everything before I did that. so I headed home (about 3 miles) ran fine on the hwy with the exception of the brake noise and when I pulled into my parking lot at home... same thing again.... POP, BANG, CLUNK!!!!... So I told the truck to F-off for the night and went to bed. I was going about 42hrs straight with no sleep at this point...

got up this morning to come to work, and already had a ride lined up to get there... but I started the truck just to see what it was doing... put it in gear... everything was fine I was freakin lost as to what it could be... I get about 1/2 way to work (2 miles) and the rear completely locks up!!!!!! the truck slides through an nitersection almost taking out a Geo and stops in the far rt lane... I climbed under the truck, in uniform mind you, to see WTF happened... and saw that the brakes were indeed fukd... the top caliper mount bolt (that holds the caliper to the axle) came out and the driver side caliper rotated out against the inside of the rim!!! causing it to bind up and lock up!!! so I pryed it off the rim enough to get it rolling and pulled into a parking lot and took him up on my ride to work... Good news is, it will be rolling again today...

-do you think I should pull the cover and take a looky and make sure everything's fine in there?? I'm picking up a new bolt today...What a PITA...

Cliff notes: thought I broke my rearend/trans.... come to find out, it was my brake caliper coming the **** off.... bad times...
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that really sucks. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

yeah, it turned out to be not much more than a scare. I just need to throw another bolt in it. and loc tite the ****** I guess.... I need to change the fluid anyway so I guess I'll do that this time around as well.... I'd like to see how my gearset is wearing.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

damn, where did you leave your truck? i will give you a call when i get off if you need a hand with anything
Old 07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by 454navyss
damn, where did you leave your truck? i will give you a call when i get off if you need a hand with anything

LOL, its sitting at the Food Lion on Hampton Blvd behind the Hardees... I just need to find a bolt, I do believe I have a couple floating around somewhere on my old rearend I left over... lets hope I do anyway LOL
Old 07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just got off, i need to take a shower then i'll be leaving the ship
Old 07-31-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Ben, I don't know who's broke more ****... Me or you?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by Z06 DREAMING
Damn Ben, I don't know who's broke more ****... Me or you?
me, your truck hasnt been running long enough to break much
Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by 454navyss
i just got off, i need to take a shower then i'll be leaving the ship
give me a shout, I might need a hand.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
me, your truck hasnt been running long enough to break much
true

That's one good thing about it though... no running truck= no more broken parts!

Quick Reply: I got Fking nervous last night...