Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I F**king hate transmission. 4l80e swap, converter locking up in reverse and drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I F**king hate transmissions. 4l80e swap, converter locking up in reverse and drive

Swapped in the 4l80e Friday night. Ran it thru the gears on the lift and all seemed good. Backed it out and put it in drive to take it down road and it stalled out and died like it was a manual trans dumping the clutch. Started it back up put it in gear and good, drove about 2 miles came up to stop sign and below 10 mph the converter will lockup and stall the engine or try to pull. I can throw it in 1st and gas it a little and it will unlock etc. Problem def gets worst as the fluid gets up to temp.

I commanded the TCC lockup off even while it was doing it and has no effect. Did a segment swap and wiring mod with just the min/max tcc apply adjusted for now but had the lockup issue right off the bat so no other tuning done on the trans.

From what I've gathered the 4l80e gets no fluid to the tcc circuit until 2nd gear so if it's locking up in 1st or reverse then there is a crossleak in the valvebody or a converter issue.

I previously had a 60e built that would do the opposite and would only partially lockup, I've pulled transmissions 4 times in the last month. I just wanna torch this mfer!!!

Any body have any other suggestions? I'll call the local builder tomorrow and Chris @ Circle-D tomorrow too

Edit: Converter is a multi-disc 2B 3200ish

Last edited by cdub81; 05-27-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have tuning software? If you log TCC, does it show to be locked up? Can you post up your tune?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hum.. thats deffinaly weird.. but if you can command it off and it still acting up, either cross leak in VB, Wiring is wrong or wires touching somewhere, or converter is acting up.

Thats first off top of my head.

If it were me, id pull the pin out of the Transmission connector for the TCC, if you unhook that and its still locking then that narrows it down to a mechanical issue and not electrical. Unless the Solenoid is messed up.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a quick reference
pull the brown wire in position "S"

Name:  4l80eWiringConversion.jpg
Views: 5123
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  4L80Ewiring.jpg
Views: 5988
Size:  30.6 KB
Old 05-30-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Transmission is back at the builder. I will update when the issue is found
Old 05-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Well glad you got it in it was a eye sour at johnny's house plus he needs the room lol how you get it figured out
Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06-crewhauler
Well glad you got it in it was a eye sour at johnny's house plus he needs the room lol how you get it figured out
Haha, man I was glad Johnny had a lift or it woulda really sucked! I'm about ready to torch this POS
Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have had this issue a few times... typical causes are cross leak in pump causing main line pressure to bleed over to the TCC apply circuit, clogged or bad TCC solenoid and possibly a few worn valves in the VB or pump causing low TCC off pressure and the vortex of the converter overcomes the off pressure and applies the clutches. TCC problems on a 4L80 are quite common and the multi disk will multiply the issue. Let me know what you find out, if we need to check the converter let me know.

Chris
Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Circle-D
We have had this issue a few times... typical causes are cross leak in pump causing main line pressure to bleed over to the TCC apply circuit, clogged or bad TCC solenoid and possibly a few worn valves in the VB or pump causing low TCC off pressure and the vortex of the converter overcomes the off pressure and applies the clutches. TCC problems on a 4L80 are quite common and the multi disk will multiply the issue. Let me know what you find out, if we need to check the converter let me know.

Chris
Well I got the converter issue fixed... As Chris stated low off pressure coupled with the multi-disc was overcoming the off pressure etc. Gilbert has been swamped with work so it took a few weeks but it shifted perfect and felt good.......

NOW, it was still running hot but it has open headers cause I haven't had it drivable to get the exhaust all fabbed back up and Gilbert wasn't comfortable driving it around very long with the open headers so he couldn't spend a lot of time driving it so it only got up to 170ish on him and this is with a 40K cooler bypassed around radiator. I also had a cam sensor code causing **** but it was some bad wires in the pigtail and I replaced that Thursday night and all is good on that.

So I pulled the Cooler line to the cooler and started truck and had flow to cooler, hooked up feed line and un hooked return line, had flow through cooler. Unhooked return line from trans and had flow all the way to the back of transmission. So I took the air compressor and blew air into the rear fitting and it pushed a little fluid through feed, cooler and dribbled back out return line BUT not much.

When I removed the air hose... A ******* dirtdobber fell out.......
Name:  3E2B1BCE-B93D-4207-9A23-CA6585EC739B-8084-000006539AA32E0D_zpsfd02fee2.jpg
Views: 3992
Size:  46.8 KB

The new trans lines I bought had sat in my garage for a few weeks before I did the swap... I never checked em before I put the NEW lines on.

Couple of test drives and trans was still running warm and on the second drive after I pulled all the lines again to clear anything I guess It blew a line or something... Couldn't tell it was midnight and I was on the side of the road. Had the truck towed.. OUCH!

So I'm just gonna have transmission tore back down and checked and cleaned. New cooler and Maybe AN fittings and lines
Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

dude...it could be raining ***** and you look up in the sky and get hit right between the eyes with a 10" dick...what luck...

Quick Reply: I F**king hate transmission. 4l80e swap, converter locking up in reverse and drive