Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hydroboost Conversion Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Started mine tonight. Have the old booster off and pedal out. Couple things I see different with mine so far.

1> My current master cylinder doesn't have the fluid level switch plug in at the bottom of it. I am just taking the switch out of the hydroboost master cylinder. Appears my brake fluid monitoring is done in a block just a bit downstream in the brake lines.

2> Instead of drilling a new hole in the fire wall I am going to attempt to remove the bolt from the hydraulic booster unit and drill a new hole in its mounting plate to match the current bolt pattern of the firewall. My truck has some preformed rubber mat on the inside that will have to be cut up to get the booster bolted up.

Edit: Hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents in your thread. Just got done getting the booster and master cylinder in. I did manage to drive out the odd bolt and drill a new hole to use the original bolt holes through the firewall. I also had to clearance the top of the hole through the firewall to get the snout of the hydroboost to fit since it sits higher as mentioned in Sleek's install.

Name:  DSC06727.jpg
Views: 18096
Size:  132.1 KB

Last edited by KySilverado; 05-09-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I have seen it done that way as well.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Finished mine up today. Between it and the new brake kit the truck stops amazingly! Firm pedal. Just WOW!

I am getting a "Service Brake Booster" in the messenger center. Guess it doesn't like not having the vacuum pump plugged in. Gonna have to research it.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

It is really nice having the pedal with that firmness. How is you steering if you really jam on the brakes?
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sleek silverado
It is really nice having the pedal with that firmness. How is you steering if you really jam on the brakes?
Yeah I am really liking the pedal feel. Daylight to dark over the vacuum system. I haven't really tried turning and standing on the brakes.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any tips for removing the clip that attaches the brake switch to the pedal?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Lay on your back under the dash for a while cussing about the clip and trying all your different screwdrivers. Then eventually once you get a mirror and flashlight you see exactly how much it needs to flex before sliding out. At least that's what I did.

On a more serious note, the clip has a keyhole shape. The retainer tab needs to flex back then slide the clip to allow the large part of the keyhole to line up then pull straight off the side of the shaft.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
Lay on your back under the dash for a while cussing about the clip and trying all your different screwdrivers. Then eventually once you get a mirror and flashlight you see exactly how much it needs to flex before sliding out. At least that's what I did.

On a more serious note, the clip has a keyhole shape. The retainer tab needs to flex back then slide the clip to allow the large part of the keyhole to line up then pull straight off the side of the shaft.
I did not have much difficulty removing it. Anyway, do what he said!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, I got it

All the hydroboost parts are in now, just gotta wait till I have an engine again to try it out.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunder550
Thanks guys, I got it

All the hydroboost parts are in now, just gotta wait till I have an engine again to try it out.
I saw your other post. Sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure the next motor will be bigger and badder!

Quick Reply: Hydroboost Conversion Install