Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How long do built trannys last

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:28 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Yet, in your sig, nothin is listed. So how does the OP or anyone know what you're runnin that handles 1000hp?
It's a FLT 4L80e lvl-5 if you really must know! My sig isn't to tell everyone what I run or answer people's questions, it's for me to do what I want with it!

Originally Posted by fastnblu
acethedragon & Joshua, anyone...How are the built trannies takin a dump so fast when the stockers have lasted? All I can figure is we think they'll hold up, so we push them harder.
Or...power was added, & kept being added that wasn't there on the stock ones.
Cause if stockers hold up better than built, why would 1 upgrade their unit?

Most of the trannies that end up failing that I've been around have been a direct result of tuning rather than putting too much power through them. Just by taking out all the Torque Managment from your tune will make life on your tranny much harder, increased line pressures and shifts will put wear and tear on your tranny too. Improper converter sizes and locking them up during WOT will also shorten the life of them.
Personally, I think the tranny is the LAST place people need to search for quicker times and power. By locking up the converter, getting shifts that will slam in and out of gears and chirp tires at every shift will net us a few tenths here and there but is gonna make your tranny wanna roll over and die that much quicker.
IMO if you wanna go faster, make more power with the motor, don't try to squeeze power out of the already stressed drive-train components.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubenmunoz
Does anybody know of anyone looking to buy a STS turbo kit for silverado..........$6500
LOL, what makes you think the drivetrain section is a classified section? or this thread a for sale thread?? And BTW, if you think you are getting 6500 for an sts kit, you are either high or have one hell of a kit!

Originally Posted by Spoolin
It's a FLT 4L80e lvl-5 if you really must know! My sig isn't to tell everyone what I run or answer people's questions, it's for me to do what I want with it!

Most of the trannies that end up failing that I've been around have been a direct result of tuning rather than putting too much power through them. Just by taking out all the Torque Managment from your tune will make life on your tranny much harder, increased line pressures and shifts will put wear and tear on your tranny too. Improper converter sizes and locking them up during WOT will also shorten the life of them.
Personally, I think the tranny is the LAST place people need to search for quicker times and power. By locking up the converter, getting shifts that will slam in and out of gears and chirp tires at every shift will net us a few tenths here and there but is gonna make your tranny wanna roll over and die that much quicker.
IMO if you wanna go faster, make more power with the motor, don't try to squeeze power out of the already stressed drive-train components.
I agree with this 100%, if you have strictly a race truck thats one thing, but personally i hate being stranded with broken parts in my DD. Anyways, my performabuilt has around 20k on it now with no issues (knock on wood).
Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin

It's not? I beg to differ.

I knew TQ Mgmt make it tougher & have heard the line press ^ is bad too. I learned my lesson on my other truck about chirping tries on shifts.
However, I never knew bout the improper convertor could shorten tranny life nor WOT lockup could do it too.
I knew if ya towed w/. too small a convertor it would hurt somethin, but I figured it'd just smoke a convertor. But I suppose, that tranny goes as a result of convertor very quickly after. I choose a stall based on "bulletproofing" my drivetrain, not cause I wanted to tow or wanted killer ETs, & I told Chris that when he recommended my stall. That's me tho.
FWIW, I plan on my power outta the motor by fall.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-04-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubenmunoz
Does anybody know of anyone looking to buy a STS turbo kit for silverado..........$6500
Nice first post.
Does that come with a motor and trans? That's the only way someone will pay 6500 for it and that's the only way it would validate being in a thread about transmissions.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine died cause of line pressure and shift kit. shifted nice and hard but wasnt meant to last. stock trannies last so long cause their soft, absorb the impact and horsepower. built trannies are meant to get the power to the ground so its definately harsher environment. just so many variables to consider like others have stated. most important is who built it.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:54 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by acethedragon
most important is who built it.
It's very important who built it, it's more important who tunes it. There's a local guy in LA who's a transmissions worst nightmare...he's ridiculous and is responsible for 2 4L60e failures of mine as well as my FLT lvl-5 80e and that was waaaaayyyy before I was making any power. I mean he destroyed a $5K transmission behind basically a 6L with bolt-ons.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Too high of line pressure? Force motor current too high (or low?)? How did he manage to mess it up that bad?