Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How to Drop your 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ3
Whar are you guys doing with your bumpstops? Jouncers correct? I started with a 2" keys/2" shackles/block removed on my 02. When I did this I pulled the spacer brackets on the rear bumps and cut them down about 1", in the front I cut 1" or so off. I did not like the ride so I went back to stock. This was with new shocks also.

i had cut down my front and rear bumpstops about an inch at first but it rode terrible, i could barley drive over a pebble without my head hitting the roof. so i ended up completely removing the front stops and removing the spacer in the rear. the difference was night and day between the two, it rides so much smoother now.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:37 PM
JJ3
Teching In

How did you remove the front? Mine have the cup welded to the bracket. How low did you go also?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JJ3
How did you remove the front? Mine have the cup welded to the bracket. How low did you go also?
i just pulled the rubber out (is comes off easily) and left the cup there... i think the bumpstop was putting pressure on the control arm because i swear it lowered the truck and 3/4 of an inch.... u have to cut the cup off to remove it. i lowered the front 3 inches and the rear about 4.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bringin' this thread back... VIVA LA BUDHAYES!

anyone here lowered 4wd run tie-rod sleeves on their 1500? If so, what brand? Post up some pics!

oh, and Oleg, you should post up some pics/thoughts/first hand experience with those shiny new RCV Axles!!! make me drool some more, haha. Oh, and any clocking ring pics?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by robert85
Here is mine...looks hi cuz I bent down to take the pics but sits nice on the 22s. I also had to get a custom driveshaft made!

Front:
MOOG offset bushings to help alignment (good advice from mr shredsled...thanks man)
Belltech 2" spindles
Adjusted lowering keys

Rear:
Blocks removed
Belltech 4 inch drop leafs
Stock shackles
With tow bags going in this week!

Did this truck require a notch? I wanna get my truck just a lil bit lower. Right now its just 2 inch drop spindles with stock torsion keys all the way down. Rear I removed the block and 2 or 3 inch hangers. The front is pretty damn close but the rear needs to come down close to two inches but would be ok with just 1-1.5 for now. Any advice from anyone would be great. Thanks and great lookin trucks everyone. I love the scsb and ccsb setups the most. Never been a fan of the eclb look.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ShredSled
^such a nice ride!

well, here are some old photos I found from last year when I updated my front suspension.

The truck was just DJM LCA's and McGaughy lowering keys, and it had some odd alignment issues when uncranked down to ~4"+ of drop, and was putting a LOT of stress on upper ball-joints, tearing and deforming boots, and also tie-rods as well. Was getting some odd ackerman angles when turning and creating tire scrub, esp. when backing up.

So, I decided to add some new version Belltech 2508 spindles (also considered McGaughy spindles too, but went with Belltech since it gave more clearance over CV Boot and upper ball-joint stud), that way I could crank the lowering keys back up and level out my tie-rods and everything a bit more compared to the prior set-up.
By adding the spindle into the equation, I was also able to thread in the torsion key bolts nearly all the way, reducing their vulnerability when hanging out below the frame and possibly snapping off if scraping a driveway or speedbump, etc.

I also flipped the upper ball-joints in my upper control arms to get better operating angle for the ball-joint to sit in, reducing the stress on it and the boot and significantly increasing ball-joint performance and life. Luckily for us, the UCA's are perfectly symmetrical when flipped, with the exception of the angle on the outer area where the BJ is pressed into.
Below you can see the photos I copied and pasted from an older thread.

I also pressed in some Moog offset UCA bushings to give better camber adjustment. Belltech also makes some offset UCA bushings, which I believe have even more offset than the Moogs.

This is basically a cheap man's version of the DJM UCA's.

using an impact and cheap harbor freight bj press for flipping the bj's and installing the bushings

shot of quick comparison of UCA's, one with flipped BJ, and the other with reg position
Can someone tell me what bumper this gentlemen is running? I really wanna ditch the chrome but dont wanna just do an ss bumper cover. This one looks sexy. Thanks and great lookin truck bro.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShredSled
bringin' this thread back... VIVA LA BUDHAYES!

anyone here lowered 4wd run tie-rod sleeves on their 1500? If so, what brand? Post up some pics!

oh, and Oleg, you should post up some pics/thoughts/first hand experience with those shiny new RCV Axles!!! make me drool some more, haha. Oh, and any clocking ring pics?
I wish I could drive it haha. I ordered the axles back in September I believe and I was hoping they would be here before snowfall. But they took awhile to make and got here a bit late. Its been parked for a month now that its winter. Its not bad since it saves me a good chunk of insurance and fuel costs
Old 08-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Bumping an old thread but here's what I did to mine it's lowered about 5.5/8
Front consists of: McGaughy's 2" Spindles, 3" keys decranked, and DJM UCA
Rear: Flip kit and 2" drop shackles. With 255/45/R20 tires up front It measures 28.5" from ground to Fender.

So far I've put about 3k miles this low, Only problems I've had Is that I had to remove the front bump stop and it'll still lay the cap on the LCA so I cut it off, and one of my Upper ball joints broke(that's when I went with DJM UCA)
I haven't taken a good look at my rear driveshaft about having to get shortened but I do get alot of wheel hop at WOT (guessing due to the crappy air shocks)

It gets the job done full of cargo with the airshock around 150psi.

Name:  photo1-3_zps61eac9ed.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  photo4-2_zps60f1363b.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  115.8 KB

Name:  photo2-3_zps928c9b67.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  122.4 KB[/QUOTE]

W/ 80psi on shocks
Name:  photo3-1_zpsd202e7b0.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  125.3 KB

Name:  photo1-4_zps074ac000.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  76.0 KB

This is how my CV angles used to look before I went a full inch lower

Passenger side

Name:  photo3-6_zps1c205a19.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  72.2 KB

Drivers side
Name:  photo2-9_zps1b69920a.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  88.4 KB

Last edited by TRD_Tundra; 08-18-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Serr77ano
There will be a nice custom touch that I will show off when I get it.

Did ya get it?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 PM

Hi i have a quick question. So i have a 2002 silverado 4x4 with spindles on the front and a flip kit in the rear, what can i do to level it up with the flip kit?

Quick Reply: How to Drop your 4x4