Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help explain 4L60 failure.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help explain 4L60 failure.

So last week my 4L60 bit the dust. (I think)
When it happened I heard no grinding of metal nor other wild mechanical sounds.
Right now it will move very slow in drive or any other forward gear but it seems to not want to downshift to any lower gear than 4th.
Reverse it gone, I have nothing and it will not budge an inch even with some heavy throttle inputs. When I do gas it in reverse it seems like it has a load on the engine as the motor will not rev freely but it still does not move.
When I put the truck in neutral it will not roll back when you push it? Why?
A while back before I had my trans rebuilt and supposedly strengthened to with stand boost at my levels it smoked the 3-4 clutches, when this happened my trans was running very high temps from all the slipping but still worked in reverse. This time around there was no change in trans temps even after driving it another 2 miles when it first showed signs of going out on me.

So will all this being said why will it not even budge in reverse but it will inch forward with small amounts of throttle?

I'm sure some of you transmission gurus will be able to explain this in a way that makes sense.
I just want to get it our of my garage and move it to the outside somewhere so I can get a new vehicle in the garage.
Is there something possibly wrong with my trans other than smoking the clutches?
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely post up what you find during teardown, but I'm wondering if something happened in the low/roller clutch area..

How did the truck shift before the issue? was it bang shifts? or did it hit hard going into gear from nuetral...I know this has caused issues in the past where to much Park/Nuetral pressure into gear has blown out snaprings on these transmissions
Old 12-10-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am also curious if something happened in the 2-4 servo/band area...you put it in reverse and you say it binds up as if its still in a forward gear....

You can possibly check the 2nd4th gear servo cover with trans still in truck....if all is ok then its gonna need pulled
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Wondering if I smoked my bands too. Hmmmmm
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Wondering if I smoked my bands too. Hmmmmm
There is only one band in this transmission, the 2nd and 4th gear servos both operate this single band...Its worth a look to see if anything fell out of place in this servo area before teardown...There are a few good write ups on the corvette servo install that can provide you clear pics to see how everything goes together.

If a stock band was in this trans, there have been a few under high pressures that have broken, I always use the HD alto bands with thicker anchors
Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

This too, at least helps you realize whats what and what is involved and what to look for, expect and basic tools needed.
I'm sure there is a rebuild thread on the site somewhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ayBd5oDNI

Last edited by TG02Z71; 12-10-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
There is only one band in this transmission, the 2nd and 4th gear servos both operate this single band...Its worth a look to see if anything fell out of place in this servo area before teardown...There are a few good write ups on the corvette servo install that can provide you clear pics to see how everything goes together.

If a stock band was in this trans, there have been a few under high pressures that have broken, I always use the HD alto bands with thicker anchors
Good to know. I always thought it was one band but with multiple surfaces separated by gaps between them?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...t-pics-476223/
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

The truck will not roll back even in neutral. I jacked the back up just to move it. When I had the back in the air I tried to rotate the wheels. Feels like an unusual amount of resistance to make them move at all.
I checked the fluid for the hell of it, its full and does not smell of burnt clutch at all.
I am starting to think something is locked up but I don't know enough about an automatic transmission to even guess. Could the converter have went out? Would that even effect it at all?

Quick Reply: Help explain 4L60 failure.